R/C Hand drill ?

Hello,

I am wondering if any of you have ever seen a R/C hand drill. The idea is to use small servos that would push the trigger of a hand drill as well as make it go back and forth. Has anybody ever seen something like this on the web. Either it has never been done and reported on the web or I am using the wrong keywords on google.

Thanks in advance,

Jake.

Reply to
Newbie

kenji

IF you are limiting yourself to only hand drills, the answer is NO. By definition they were not meant to be automated.

IF you are talking about a) on/off power for a drill b) push/retract for drill pressure, these two actions are what CNC (Computer-Numerical-Controlled) drills are all about, although these are usually floor-standing machine-tools.

Also, assuming that you have a clamping setup to hold the drill, servo-controlled actuators could be attached to that mount that would interact mechanically with the drill to imitate your finger action. Furthermore, the mount itself would need to be on a slider of some kind to make it move forward.

A company called something like Stock Drive Parts ...

has a catalog (free) of all sorts of small precision parts that would work in conjuction with the servos or actuators you would need. N.B. I strongly recommend you get their catalog before doing anything or even going thru their web site.

You are likely to find everything that you want from a supplier like FESTO who specialize in automation equipment (usually pneumatic) for doing what you want. Naturally this is industrial grade versus hobby grade, but if you are trying to build something to throw into the "Robot Wars" ring, then FESTO or someone like them is where you'll find some of what you need.

Some relevant reading on (servo-actuated drilling):

*
Othe info

Have fun,

Eric

Reply to
abracadabra

When I made my electric screwdriver r/c i found it was alot easier to take it apart and make my own switch.

Reply to
Himszy

I have taken apart one of these switches, they are not easy to understand actually. How can I actuate these switches with r/c servos is really the question.

Jake,

Reply to
Newbie

The below link shows one way to have a servo operate a switch, which could be easier than pushing a button with the servo. You can tie the button down and turn it on and off by placing two wires on opposite sides of a thin piece of cardboard, and placing this between the battery tip and the battery holder contact.

Si Ballenger

Umm.. it sounds like you really want a speed controller with reverse. You are mostly on your own when you get into Rube Goldberg land,

, as it seems like that is where you are headed here ;)

Over and out.

Reply to
Steve Banks

LOL. That's a classic. Mind you he probably does have a good reason. Maybe like another poster says, it might be for a robot war style bot.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Gunn

Reply to
AirMan

Haven't seen one but I'm sure one could be easily made using standard components.

Not sure what the point is but it sounds like you are trying to build a mini-mill or automated pedestal drill for some industrial application.

Reply to
The Raven

He's a terrorist and he wants to build a remote-controlled drill to threaten airline passengers while he hijacks the plane and crashes it into the World Trade Center...

For crying out loud, WHO CARES? He wants to run a drill with servos. Let him be creative. Maybe he'll invent something useful and revolutionary.

Reply to
mkirsch1

What frequency band would it be on?

Dr1

Reply to
Dr1

C'mon Jake. Everyones curious. Just what are you planning on doing with this R/C drill? If it is for a CNC drill application or mill type arrangement, I would recommend modifying a drill press. They're a bit more expensive than a hand drill but they already have the mechanical mounting and sliding built in. Then all you have to do (he says as if it is easy) is make a moving base for a vice. If you let us know what you are planning I'm sure you will get more ideas better suited to a solution.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Gunn

Reply to
AirMan

Maybe it's for a battle bot?

Reply to
Justin Mahn

Could be. In which case a cordless drill is perfect. Then I would have to ask, do you really need the variable speed? So many questions all answered by knowing the purpose of the drill.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Gunn

Maybe he's building a new kind of remotely-controlled bomb-defusing robot. It would explain why he is being cagey.

If so, do look up the references I posted earlier.

Eric

Reply to
abracadabra

One other comment.

By refraining from "leading" our thought processes, he is deliberately using the brainstorming technique to generate ideas, possibly coming up with that most perfect of solutions from out in left field:

the elegant solution !

To that I would respond:

Let the creative juices flow !

HOWEVER, I think it is time to reduce the scope back down to only

comp.robotics.misc rec.models.rc.misc rec.models.rc.land

because this is straying far from specific RC flying.

Eric

Reply to
abracadabra

Agreed for the RC flying. This is not a brainstorming technique, rather, I am trying to see why this ability to automate a relatively powerful but cheap piece of equipment has not been more used by hobbyists.

I am actually thinking of several different project, at least two of them use powerful rotating motors and do not need to run for hours.

The first one is indeed a battle bot of some kind. The second is a robot that would climb on walls or cliffs (the hand drill serves at the feet of the robot.) Both of these, I think require, a cheap way to do drilling. Since I am on the cheap, I see this hand drill solution as pretty ideal.

Jake.

Reply to
Newbie