R/C Hand drill ?

For what use?

He's a terrorist and he wants to build a remote-controlled drill to threaten airline passengers while he hijacks the plane and crashes it into the World Trade Center...
For crying out loud, WHO CARES? He wants to run a drill with servos. Let him be creative. Maybe he'll invent something useful and revolutionary.

Haven't seen one but I'm sure one could be easily made using standard components.
Not sure what the point is but it sounds like you are trying to build a mini-mill or automated pedestal drill for some industrial application.
--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

But we still wonder about the purpose of an RC drill!

What frequency band would it be on?
Dr1
Newbie wrote:

C'mon Jake. Everyones curious. Just what are you planning on doing with this R/C drill? If it is for a CNC drill application or mill type arrangement, I would recommend modifying a drill press. They're a bit more expensive than a hand drill but they already have the mechanical mounting and sliding built in. Then all you have to do (he says as if it is easy) is make a moving base for a vice. If you let us know what you are planning I'm sure you will get more ideas better suited to a solution.
Matthew
Matthew Gunn wrote:

Maybe it's for a battle bot?
Justin Mahn wrote:

Could be. In which case a cordless drill is perfect. Then I would have to ask, do you really need the variable speed? So many questions all answered by knowing the purpose of the drill.
Matthew
Maybe he's building a new kind of remotely-controlled bomb-defusing robot. It would explain why he is being cagey.
If so, do look up the references I posted earlier.
Eric
One other comment.
By refraining from "leading" our thought processes, he is deliberately using the brainstorming technique to generate ideas, possibly coming up with that most perfect of solutions from out in left field:
the elegant solution !
To that I would respond:
Let the creative juices flow !
HOWEVER, I think it is time to reduce the scope back down to only
comp.robotics.misc rec.models.rc.misc rec.models.rc.land
because this is straying far from specific RC flying.
Eric
abracadabra wrote:

Agreed for the RC flying. This is not a brainstorming technique, rather, I am trying to see why this ability to automate a relatively powerful but cheap piece of equipment has not been more used by hobbyists.
I am actually thinking of several different project, at least two of them use powerful rotating motors and do not need to run for hours.
The first one is indeed a battle bot of some kind. The second is a robot that would climb on walls or cliffs (the hand drill serves at the feet of the robot.) Both of these, I think require, a cheap way to do drilling. Since I am on the cheap, I see this hand drill solution as pretty ideal.
Jake.