R/C Hand drill ?

Thank you this is along the lines of what I was looking for.

Jake.

Reply to
Newbie

AirMan

Have fun with the rotary switch newbie. You should be made aware that for about the same amount of money and effort and 1/100 the weight you could put together a solid state switch, here are some examples (there are lots more):

and here is a real cheap one:
uses a 4001 quad NOR ( Ok we give up already!

Reply to
Steve Banks

He has told you whats it for:

Agreed for the RC flying. This is not a brainstorming technique, rather, I am trying to see why this ability to automate a relatively powerful but cheap piece of equipment has not been more used by hobbyists.

I am actually thinking of several different project, at least two of them use powerful rotating motors and do not need to run for hours.

The first one is indeed a battle bot of some kind. The second is a robot that would climb on walls or cliffs (the hand drill serves at the feet of the robot.) Both of these, I think require, a cheap way to do drilling. Since I am on the cheap, I see this hand drill solution as pretty ideal.

Jake.

Reply to
Himszy

I am sensitive to the Rube Goldberg parallel, this is why I really like your answer. Thanks,

Jake.

Steve Banks wrote:

Reply to
Newbie

I am curious how you will achieve the rock-face drilling.

- drilling in rock (like concrete) takes a lot of pressure

- rock drilling is best achieved (not only way) when using water/air as lubricant for cooling and chip removal from the hole to prevent clogging and overheat

I am sure that you don't want to reveal what may become a trade secret (keeping a grip on the wall while drilling) but assuming that you are dealing with

- 6 legs ( 2 move forward at a time into new holes) - 2 drills for punching a set of holes at the same time (to prevent advancing at a complete crawl)

I recommend expanding pins on the legs themselves rather than drills. This way, they insert loose, then can be clamped(expanded) or released for holding or moving on.

This would allow you to invest in better equipment and drills for the 2 drills, but it would add extra weight.

If you use only drills for the hole drilling, and you leave them in the hole during a manoeuvre (move other legs), you face the danger of cooling of the rock-wall clamping on your leg drill-bit.

VERY NOVEL idea to pursue ! I love it because I can imagine many applications that I don't want to mention here.

Good Luck !

Eric

Reply to
abracadabra

I'm curious if he thought about the implications of trying it out in a national park ;)

Reply to
John Alt

I think I figured it out !

It's an underwater mining exploration rig !

He wants to drill into the chasm walls, - where veins of readily-available minerals are exposed, and - where currents are erratic.

=> can't use a tether for wireline control from a sub that is bouncing around in the eddy currents.

Alright, I admit that it's a stretch ... but WE will never know until it shows up in Popular Science :-))

Eric

Reply to
abracadabra

See, that's what I like about Newsgroups. Just when things are getting boring, you get a great post like this one. Someone has an ever so sligtly misguided idea about using power drills as motive force for some robot thing, and another guy comes out of no where, grabs the ball and is suddenly seen sprinting off in a completely unrelated direction for the "rock face drilling" goal line. Brilliant!

Reply to
Poxy

Yeah, it's kind of like the old practice that we all used to share many, many years ago. You know the one. It happened when we all stood around on a street corner and talked to one another. I think it was called conversation.

8^>

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

That was the manufacturing troubleshooter in me crawling out of the cocoon hoping that the emerging creature was beautiful.

Did you feel the urge to jump into the sub and go undersea mining ?

Eric

Reply to
abracadabra

Conversation, yes I remember.

Here is another obvious application of the r/c hand drill:

especially in the U.S. where most houses are built with wood.

Jake.

Reply to
Newbie