Zilog Z8 Development Kit

FYI -

Zilog recently marked down the price on their Z8 development kit. The kit is currently priced at $39.95 Here's a link to the article:

The kit is available at Digi-Key.

Reply to
Mad Jesuit

Recently 7 months ago?

Mitch Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

I don't see how it can possibly help sell an embedded processor if you make the dev kit expensive. Obviously priced by accountants rather than someone who understands the product..

best regards

Robin G Hewitt

Reply to
Robin G Hewitt

You might be surprised at the complexity of thought put into development kits. For instance, when I worked at Rockwell, they deliberately priced their development kits high to discourage casual experimenters. The customer type there were looking for would not baulk at $20,000 development cost when the full development cost of a high run product would probably be 10x that minimum.

Then they made the AIM-65 for $595 and everything changed, and not in a way they expected or liked.

Reply to
Randy M. Dumse

Oh... Ya got me. (darn dated article)

---TMJ