which track should I use?

I'm building my first N scale layout. I like the Peco 55. any drawbacks? thanks. Max.

Reply to
kg

It's pretty well accepted. The flangeways are a bit too wide in that the wheelsets will drop into them too a small degree causing a bump. I have always liked the code 60 Shinohara but that is now out of production. The Peco 55 flex is not as easy to work with due to its embedded design ( the rail is actually code 70 or 80 and it's sunk into the ties to make it look smaller). The ties distort when you curve it. Not badly, though.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

Max,

Peco code 55 is really rugged, and has a wide choice of turnouts available. It also has 'spring lock' points(a nice feature). The cost is a little high, and the tie profile is not real 'American'. Atlas has a line of code 55 available, and the prices are very good. The down side is no locking points, and at this time only a #5 and #7 turnout are available The key with any of the code 55 product lines is to try you cars/engines to see if there are flange depth problems. Older MT wheels and some older engines(Minitrix and Rapido) will 'click' going through Atlas code 55 turnouts. The Peco track is really code 80 high and has two rail bases(the bottom 'T') - there is enough clearance to run the older cars/engines through it with no 'clicking').

I am building a 36" by 57" display layout using the Atlas code 55 products and have been running Atlas/MT cars and engines with no problems. All of the cars have been equipped with low profile metal wheels(either Intermountain or Atlas) and run through the turnouts with no problems. The only engine that 'clicks' is the Kato USRA 2-8-2 - the pilot truck has flanges too big.

Jim Bernier

kg wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier