101 uses for an A10-PT

Now that the A10-PT's are out there, I've been fixating on coming up with innovative uses for these little things (i.e., excuses to explain to my wife why I had to buy that whole damn carton of 'em at Wally-World). Just like Cheetos or Slim Jims, I just can't pass 'em by.

Here are a few of my ideas.

  1. Orbital Transport "JATO" mod - just glue some engine blocks into those outboard BT-5's, add some nose weight to compensate, and watch that baby say WHOOSH. You DID build that glider out of plywood and epoxy, right?

  1. Outboard motors for that big Saturn 1B. God Hisself intended that beauty to fly on 8 motors, didn't your momma teach you nothin?

  2. Ditto for the Saturn V, for those of you folks who didn't build it with 5 x 18mm's in the first place (again as God intended). Just glue up some BT-5's in there and plug 'em in.

  1. Retro rockets for that Mars Lander. Rig up an IR proximity sensor in the base, so that landing is cushioned Soyuz-style. Might want to fly this one over wet grass only, though.

How about you folks?

Reply to
BB

U.S. Rockets Swarm. Sinlge central motor eject, and that is an RMS delay epoxied into the top of a zero.

Just Jerry

Is this tech yet?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

#5. Drill out the plugs and make A10-0T's out of them :)

#6.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

See #5 on Doug Sam's post!

Reply to
BB

You can't use the A10-0 in place of plugged motors unless you want them to eject themselves and/or burn the rocket. All Estes booster motors blow burning propellant and expanding gases out the front end of the motor unless you plug them.

The options are to violate the code and plug them yourself, or buy factory plugged motors...which can be converted to A10-0's as others have mentioned. :)

Reply to
tim

Happy Meals (or at least smaller food containers), CD rockets, and other oddball stuff.

Haven't seen them yet at Wally. How much per pack?

Bob Kaplow

Their stupid rocket cars don't need no ejection charge. It's gonna be fun when someone uses them in the PRK on a nice dry grassy field...

Bob Kaplow

Right idea, wrong words. Do NOT "DRILL" them out. Chip out the clay with a sharp stick.

Bob Kaplow

$4.97 for a pack of four. They have the rocket cars in stock, too. Runs down a string line with a parachute "Grabber" near the end. Kids will think they are fun for about two minutes. "Now what should we do with these motors?"

John

Reply to
John Stein

I thought you were a stickler for following the code. :)

tim

Reply to
tim

false excuses.

false excuses.

Estes refuses.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Before I agree, which code do you refer to? And what language in particular?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Which would be equally violative of the code, and also more likely to be an actual safety hazard. (Pouring epoxy into the top of a "booster" sounds like it's much less likely to cause accidental ignition than trying to dig out a plug over the BP grain of a "plugged"!)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

However whatever rules are in place encourage the greater of two evils. A common problem with arbitrary rules in lieu of exemptions and hard permits.

Merely Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

  1. Assume there is no difference in function effectiveness. Then realize your only objection is related to your perception of a rule which is fluid.
  1. Assume there is no difference in function effectiveness. Then realize your only objection is related to your perception of a rule which is fluid.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Is this a trick question? :)

Here it is (NAR)...not sure of the language, because it's not the version of English I hear coming from kids these days. ;)

  1. MOTORS. I will use only certified, commercially-made model rocket motors, and will not tamper with these motors or use them for any purposes except those recommended by the manufacturer.

I don't alter motors when doing anything related to the NAR such as my school demos, but I do whatever I want to with the motors when I launch privately on my own farm.

tim

Reply to
tim

It's hard to ignite BP with a pointy stick. :)

tim

Reply to
tim

THIS should be in the FAQ!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Makes perfect sense. Congratulations. You just personally brought common sense back to rocketry administration.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine