2003 RMR flight survey

It's time for the seventh annual RMR flight survey. I'd appreciate hearing from everyone, both active posters and "lurkers", old timers and newbies, questes rocketeers and HPR fliers, everybody who reads RMR. Even Jerry Irvine and John Cato if they actually flew any rockets! :-) Please tabulate the flights you made in calendar year 2003, and break them down by total impulse category. I'd prefer not to get WAG responses, please use your flight logs to respond, or make reasonably accurate estimates based on hard data.

Please EMAIL me a two line reply to this message, making sure the word SURVEY is in the title, with the only content being the header line and your actual flight totals. My newsreader seems to miss some posts, so if you post, please also email a copy to me to be sure you get counted. See my example below. Please do NOT send me my flight log! Since the responses will be processed by an automated script, please follow the format EXACTLY, including spacing. DO NOT USE TABS OR SOME NASTY VARIABLE PITCH FONT!!!

Notes on the data: If you flew a D12/C6 two staged model, count that as an E flight. Similarly adjust clusters: a 4 D12 Patriot is equivalent to an F.

While zeros are not necessary, they do make it easier for me to decipher data that has been messed up by some text editors, so go ahead and include them if possible. For NAR and TRA numbers, indicate your number if you are a member of either organization. If you are no longer a member, so indicate by making the number negative. If you don't remember your number, use "1" or "-1" respectively.

I'll process responses received through the end of the month, and post a summary in February. Interim results can be viewed on my CHAD web page as SURVEY2003.LIS (the results from the past 7 years are there too)

In 2002 we had 56 RMR readers make 4475 flights, averaging 79 flights per person. We flew 921190 NS averaging 205 NS/flight. The weighted average motor class was just over a D

[A single M flight wacks the NS/flight of a lot of A8-3s, thus the weighted average which is a more reasonable reflection of activity.]

In 2001 we had 71 RMR readers make 5753 flights, averaging 81 flights per person. We flew 1070644 NS averaging 186 NS/flight. The weighted average motor class was just over a D

In 2000 we had 69 RMR readers make 5452 flights, averaging 79 flights per person. We flew 751189 NS averaging 137 NS/flight. The weighted average motor class was between a C and a D

In 1999 we had 88 RMR readers make 7446 flights, averaging 84 flights per person. We flew 838346 NS averaging 112 NS/flight. The weighted average motor class was between a C and a D

In 1998 we had 75 RMR readers make 5921 flights, averaging 78 flights per person. We flew 846452 NS averaging 142 NS/flight. The weighted average motor class was just over a D.

In 1997 we had 62 RMR readers make 4783 flights, averaging 77 flights per person. We flew 560305 NS averaging 117 NS/flight. The weighted average motor class was between a C and a D

In 1996 we had 77 RMR readers make 5642 flights, averaging 73 flights per person. We flew 578038 NS averaging 102 NS/flight. The weighted average motor class was between a C and a D.

For the 6 years I've done the survey, we had 445 responses ( yearly responses from the same person have NOT been merged) make 35603 flights, averaging 80 flights per person. We flew 4996945 NS averaging 140 NS/flight. The weighted average motor class was between a C and a D.

Thank you for your response.

REMINDER: Your reply should include ONLY the two lines between the "=" with your data in place of mine.

======================================================================= TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# TRA.# State Who? 666 11 22 33 44 55 66 77 88 99 88 77 66 55 44 33 22 11286 -849 IL Bob Kaplow kaplow_r.at.encompasserve.org =======================================================================

Bob Kaplow

TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# TRA.# State Who? 59 0 0 0 13 15 20 5 1 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 UK Darren J Longhorn snipped-for-privacy@yahooo.com

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Does not counting make me a bad person?

Phil Ste>It's time for the seventh annual RMR flight survey. I'd appreciate hearing

Kaplow kaplow_r.at.encompasserve.org

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

00 - 63238 4486 NJ Jeff Davenport
Reply to
JDcluster

TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# TRA.# State Who?

66 5 3 2 2 3 20 9 2 3 4 1 2 3 24 4 1 79986 -1 PA Drake Damerau monel.at.sprynet.com

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

======================================================================= TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# TRA.# State Who?

119 0 0 0 1 5 74 12 16 3 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 82465 0 WI Jason T Hommrich =======================================================================
Reply to
zak orion

TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# TRA.# State Who? 31 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 01 01 01 06 03 03 06 01 05 48840 667 GA Tom Binford

Reply to
Tom Binford

And after Bob posts the motor usage by size class I'll crunch it through the curve fit routine I've been using on my local club stats.

Amazing how well motor usage generally fits either a bimodal or trimodal normal statistical curve!

OROC data has a low power mode peaking close to 'C' and a high power mode peaking near 'I' for our desert launches. (The other sites are FAR 101--truncates the high power stuff). The low power mode is true low power--that "group" never flies anything larger than a G.

It'll be interesting to see how the RMR data breaks down into groups.

+McG+

Kaplow kaplow_r.at.encompasserve.org

Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin

Opps For got about my flights made at Nepra Launches.

00 - 63238 4486 NJ Jeff Davenport

Thnaks Doc,

JD

Reply to
JDcluster

Undoubtedly, those were your best flights, at the best field run, by the friendliest club! ;-)

See you this year!

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# TRA.#

66 0 0 0 0 3 3 3 3 4 24 30 10 4 4 1 5 24333 -12 CA Jerry Irvine snipped-for-privacy@gte.net

Light year for me.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

We always knew you didn't count :-)

Not logging flights lets you repeat previous misstakes.

Bob Kaplow

I've been seeing that bimodal distribution all along.

You can find the results from 1996 - 2002 on my web site below.

Bob Kaplow

I guess I'm anal-retentive about logging flights. I have every flight recorded with the location, motor used, rocket launched, delay time or altimiter, position of rocket at deployment, and any notes that were pertinent.

Does that make me a good person? :-)

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

I'm assuming a bell curve at around a C or D motor, then another at G or H. Right?

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

no, but your being a great father makes you a good person

you do have kids, don't you?

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Yes, two of them.

My oldest thinks I'm a lousy father. My youngest thinks I'm a great father. In a few years, it will be reversed. It wont be until they're both adults until they realize, I'm a great father. :-)

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

Me too!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I logged all my flights from 1964 to perhaps the mid to late 70s. Somewhere along the line I stopped. I didn't start again until I got my second home computer and started a log there. So there's about a 10 year gap, which alas matches the peak of my competition flying.

Bob Kaplow

What mistakes? It goes up - it comes down.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein