2003 RMR flight survey

More or less, yes.

But I've often wondered if it's really a single bell curve with a hole in the "E" class, because prior to the E9 there just weren't lots of popular E motors.

Bob Kaplow

AVI, Enerjet, Centuri and FSI all had E's.

Whilwwind, RDC, USR by AT and USR by IBco had E's.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# TRA.# State Who? 137 00 00 00 00 06 13 21 00 00 27 14 32 18 04 00 02 78825 09247 AZ Mark Saunders marksaunders.at.cox.net

Reply to
Mark Saunders

It never ceases to amaze me how many things are accurately described by the "normal" distribution.

But specifically regarding rocketry, the bimodal distribution seems to indicate that model and high power rocketry remain distinctly separate styles of rocketry, even though not always separate groups of flyers. Only a very few motor usage data sets haven't shown this.

I'll look at the past data on your site if my obsolete browser lets me.

+McG+

Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin

TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# TRA.# State Who?

90 01 09 04 20 13 08 06 07 06 06 03 01 03 03 00 00 71767 6100 MI Jay Calvert snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net
Reply to
Jay Calvert

I guess I had a prolific year. The SoCal weather always helps.

TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# State 174 0 0 0 3 19 87 17 6 17 9 10 3 3 0 0 0 79812 CA

I only lost one rocket this year, unfortunately it was my PML AMRAAM

  1. The scary stat would be calculating the total motor cost for those
174 flights.

David Marshall, NAR Level 2 DART San Diego

Reply to
David M.

I don't think bimodal or normal is really accurate. The HPR side of the curve certainly tapers off faster than the model rocket side. A LOT more A8-3s are flown than Ms...

It's a pretty CHAD site with mostly a bunch of text files in a directory. I can't imagine any browser problems.

Bob Kaplow

snipped-for-privacy@myawai.com

Reply to
Bob n Robin

pregnant or hanging?

- iz ;)

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# TRA.# State Who?

60 0 0 1 11 28 25 7 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 80259 -1 MD Mangieri,Michael snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Reply to
Mikey

I got the data ok. Haven't crunched it yet.

As for my stats, I haven't recorded my own motor usage in years except for what ATF requires. And I haven't used a Restricted Access motor since my last permit renewal.

It's "Need to know" (but it twarn't much this last year, that's no secret). And ATF has NO NEED TO KNOW what rocket motors I use except for RA stuff. To quote Bill D. Cat(and directed at ATF, not fellow rocketeers): "Thppffft." :-)

In fact, ATF has no need to know about any rocket motors I use, but I throw 'em a bone with the pitiful few RA motors I do use since I have a LEUP.

+McG+

Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin

I started out to see if the data from the local club launches were indeed indicative of a "notch" at E. Turned out the notch was beautifully explained by two overlapping bell curves. Isn't really a notch in that sense. Sometimes a third grouping can be ferreted out with a trimodal analysis. On our FAR 101 field the third group is the mini-engine bunch(kids mainly). At our desert site it's F and G motor users.

But different clubs have different statistical signatures. Depends on the available flying fields, member interests, adult/child ratios, etc.

+McG+

Reply to
Kenneth C. McGoffin

I would be interested in the MODAL data for the various groups.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Throwing a rabid pit bull a bone could be your undoing.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

For this newsgroup: Ring!

Bob Kaplow

TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# TRA.# State Who? 36 00 08 00 03 03 06 06 00 00 02 03 02 01 01 00 01 65261 4513 NY Rich Pitzeruse snipped-for-privacy@syr.edu

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse

Seems like a knobier year generally.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

What he said.

Bob Kaplow

total mm /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR# TRA# State Who?

82 00 00 01 12 14 20 11 06 14 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 12308 2256 Il Christopher Brian Deem

Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 Level II

Reply to
Christopher Deem

TOTAL MM /4 /2 AA BB CC DD EE FF GG HH II JJ KK LL M+ NAR.# TRA.# State Who?

133 00 00 00 06 19 39 27 09 08 10 06 08 01 00 00 00 79279 07716 NJ Fred Taverni snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net
Reply to
Fred Taverni