action: motor certification

We can observe that the TRA/NAR uses NFPA codes to codify, guide, or justify their policies (depending upon your point of view).

But I wanted to clear up some misunderstanding regarding the NFPA codes, their directives regarding user and motor certificication (and storage), and their legal standing.

I will use the Code for High Power Rocketry, 2002 Ed. as an example, but the facts apply equally to all rocketry codes

-----

a) NFPA 1127 is a "Code" that is "suitable for adoption into law". It is NOT law.

[from 3.2 NFPA Official Definitions, 3.2.3* "Code"]

"The NFPA has no power, nor does it undertake, to police or enforce compliance with the contents of this document."

[from "IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT THIS DOCUMENT"]

-----

b) the self-stated purpose of the code is NOT verification or enforcement of compliance, but rather it is to:

"ensure the availability" of HPR motors anc components that "meet national standards of safety and reliability"

"establish guidelines for reasonably safe operation", and to "protect the user and the public"

"minimize deaths and injuries"

[from 1.2 Purpose, subpoints 1 thru 3]

-----

c) while the International Fire Code (IFC) contained the NFPA codes by reference, an adopting state may choose to exclude any subordinate code (including the codes specific to rocketry, i.e.; 1122, 1125 and 1127)

furthermore, in adoptive states the IFC serves as guidelines to the State Fire Marshall (SFM) who, along with county and city fire prevention authorities, have the discretion to not enforce, or grant variances to, the any part of the IFC

as of 11/05/03, only the following states (in whole or part as shown) have adopted the IFC:

Adopted state wide in 15 states

Alaska Arkansas Georgia Idaho Indiana Michigan Minnesota New York North Carolina Oklahoma (mechanical provisions only) South Carolina Utah Virginia Washington Wyoming

Adopted by some local governments in 16 states

Colorado Alabama Arizona (state DoH has adopted for Hospitals) Illinois Iowa Kansas Maine Mississippi Missouri (state buildings only) Nebraska (state owned or funded buildings) Nevada New Hampshire North Dakota Ohio Tennessee Texas

Adopted, not yet effective in 1 state

Pennsylvania

[from
]

there MAY be additional states who, while not adopting the IFC, may have included any NFPA code into its state or local fire codes by reference, or by inclusion of them in whole of part, with or withour modification

states which have NOT adopted the IFC are

California Connecticut D.C. Delaware Dept. of Defense Florida Hawaii Kentucky Louisiana Maryland Massachusetts Montana Nat'l. Park Service New Jersey New Mexico Oregon Puerto Rico Rhode Island South Dakota Vermont West Virginia Wisconsin

(this post is repeated in the "NFPA and rocketry thread")

- iz

RayDunak> Duane wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

explain what makes motors illegal?

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

As you pointed out, it IS law in those states which have adopted it. Of the states which have not adopted it, I think it's a likely that they have their own standards which are very similar.

I don't see anything in that statement that limits "national standards of safety and reliability" to product performance alone. DOT testing and approval to insure safety during shipping fits the description of a "national standards of safety".

Again, things like DOT approval and ATF manufacturing permits fit the goal of protecting the user _and the public_, and minimizing deaths and injuries. I don't see where it says this goal is limited only to the launch site.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Don't you know? Motors manufactured for commerce without proper permits (LEMP). Motors shipped in commerce without DOT permits.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Ray, when I start suing people, I am going to sue you for saying that.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

even exempt ones?

even ones who have default DOT classifications?

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Which types of commercially manufactured and marketed rocket motors are "exempt" under current ATF policy? Or for that matter, under state laws?

"Default DOT classifications"??? Never heard of it. Please cite the DOT regs for obtaining "default classifications".

Reply to
RayDunakin

You never listen to fact. No point in replying. At least you share that in common with TRA leaders.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hmmm, how do hybrids get around this requirement, since they aren't even "flammable solids"?

Bob Kaplow

How would any "certifying authority" know that motors were "manufactured and/or shipped illegally?" The only way for them to know that is to usurp the roles of ATFE and DOT by doing their work for them. Larry Lobdell Jr.

Reply to
Larry Lobdell, Jr.

that can happen

that's about as

Gnome, etc.) If

Car engines present safety issues too. If my car engine develops only

120 instead of 181 hp. as claimed, I could be killed in a head-on due to inadaquate acceleration when I attempted to pass. Or if it develops 240 I could accelerate too fast and lose control (but I probably wouldn't because I used to drive 700+ hp drag cars :) Isn't being killed a "worst thing?"

LOC IV on the

Yes, but that's true of most everything (chain saws, lawn mowers, etc). We assume they'll perform as claimed and if not, I seem to remember there are lot's of product liability lawsuits these days. That threat makes most manufacturers reasonably certain of the performance of their product before they put it on the market.

We make our 5:1

be in serious

bust a waiver.

Keeping safe distances and using common sense (don't intentionally fly within 10% of the waiver limit?) reduces the possibility of problems. And, no offense to chili vendors, don't demand the launch provide chili! Larry Lobdell Jr.

Let's take a

Reply to
Larry Lobdell, Jr.

This is exactly the mindset I referred to earlier. We're NOT "Back in the early days of HPR" any longer. There are too many other motor manufacturers (competition) providing reliable and consistent motors for a manufacturer to dare to market motors that perform as you describe. And if one did, that manufacturer would have little business after selling at just one launch (bad word-of-mouth publicity). You state "I'd really like to know exactly what I'm getting." I understand that, but life doesn't work that way. For the vast majority of the products we buy and use we assume (rightly or wrongly) that what the manufacturer says is true. Or we take the word of others who have used them. Or ---. Why can't we do the same with rocket motor manufacturers? And if one is concerned about safety, does one really know that the men's after shave I use doesn't contain any carcinogens? The manufacturer says no, but what if they lied? Larry Lobdell Jr. "There is no certainty in an uncertain world" - me

Reply to
Larry Lobdell, Jr.

precisely

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The dirty little secret.

The EVIDENCE this is a "jerry-mandered" system was when even a hybrid submission by me was rejected.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I believe that it's from the current UN standards for classifying hazardous materials - apparently, even if a material doesn't exhibit the appropriate degree of intrinsic hazard to qualify by test for classification as "class

1.x", there is a provision for it to be considered a "class 1" material if it is intended to produce a "practical pyrotechnic effect" (which could be construed to include rocket-propulsion...)

It almost sounds like this would imply that any propellant which wasn't actually dangerous enough to be considered a "class 1.2" or "class 1.1" material could be acceptably (per DOT) shipped per a default "class 1.3" classification.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I think some hybrid fuel grains could be flammable solids.

In most cases they need not be. Why is user certification required to use hybrid motors (asside from NFPA 1127) when the user does not need a magazine to store them, and does not need a LEUP to receive them? This is unneeded regulation in NFPA 1127, to which the NAR is a party.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

I doubt they burn fast enough under ambient conditions.

Standard procedure.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

well don't hybrids have an equal capacity to take out airplanes at 30K feet and tanks at 5 mi.?

[the answer of course is "yes", the same nil capability]

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Thanks for the info, Dave!

Reply to
RayDunakin

If you're talking about flyer certs, that's unrelated to LEUPs or magazines. Flyer certs are to prove the user knows what he's doing (at least, to a minimal standard). It has nothing to do with the material itself but is in the fire codes because of the potential for causing fires or injuries.

Reply to
RayDunakin