Another LEUP Question....

My LEUP came in about a month ago so this is all still fresh wounds, er, memories.
You can normally be granted a variance to be permitted permitted to store
motors in garage attached to a single family dwelling, if
1) the locals approve. This usually means that your town/city/state ordinances are not violated and your garage and house are separated by a suitable wall. I say it this way, because this will vary. The Feds said firewall, the local said barrier (NY does not have an opinion on HPR). This meant the heavy 5/8" drywall on the wall and on the ceiling extending 4 feet from the shared wall, all seams sealed, and fire rated doors. The local also required that the fire rated door between the garage and house automatically close and latch. I also have a hazardous material storage permit from my town.
2) you store igniters in a separate magazine. Yes, this does suck. 3) no more than 50# of material are stored. Note that a single M motor will weigh in at 10 to 13 pounds of propellant. H and I motors are 1/2# to 3/4#.
There were a total of five conditions listed on the variance, but these three are the ones that always come to mind.
Without a variance, the minimum distance for LE storage is 75 feet from an inhabited building. I believe this also includes property lines because "you can't control what the other guys store or do on their side".
In your case, the extra magazine is probably going to be less expensive than the building, and I would pursue that unless it becomes unfeasable, or you cannot meet the other conditions of the variance (eg, store more than 50#).
Don't forget that it takes 3 to 6 months to get the permit, so if you decide to do it, start that call to the locals as soon as you can. The federal questions could be completely moot if the locals don't allow LE storage in residences in your town.
--
Tom Koszuta
Western New York Sailplane and Electric Flyers
Thomas Koszuta wrote:

For a OUTDOOR type 4 magazine. Indoor type 4 distance rules do not apply. Sorry but this is probably the number one most misunderstood rule of getting a LEUP and it's probably one of the main reasons that shuns a person from the LEUP process.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Correct Ted.
the easy way to think about it is you have an outbuilding, shed or even a pump house and put the type 4 indoor in it. no variance and no distance.
Now, what about putting the type 4 in the dog house ?
;)