Anybody building anything?

electronics).

Sounds great, I hope you pull it off. When you get ready to fly PLEASE get someone to help you film, take pictures, etc, and give us a report here on rmr and abmr.

I'm presently working on a semi-scratch built 2 stage, 3 engine cluster, (3 to 3) payloader. Basically I'm bashing 3 Loadstars together in a Titan III configuration. Once I've worked the bugs out of that we'll get serious about

3 staging a Saturn V with 5 to 5 to 1. It may all go down in flames but it will keep us entertained for a time. : )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I'm modding an estes executioner for FGH duty.. shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

They're the sharpest ones I've got. No screw to adjust - they're riveted together. :-(

Reply to
Len Lekx

That's what I was thinking. I have to find a place that stocks rotary cutters, and a 38" cutting mat...

Since I'm going to MonoKote it anyway, I may just stick with 2oz fabric as the last layer. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Not yet. We just put the motor mount assembly together. Thanks for the tips.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Have you tried getting her interested in the hobby? My wife is constantly looking for kits, parts, or whatever. We treat rocketry as a family thing with all the kids involved. She's really in to what was years ago, my hobby.

Try something like this: Yesterday I picked my wife up from work and surprised her by taking her to a local outlet center, where I insisted she buy those expensive brown pumps she'd been wanting. On the way out she noticed, before I did, a new hobby store had opened and she practically drug me in there, just to look for anything that could be used for flying. It's just how you present it to your wife. Don't use the hobby to exclude her, use it to include her, and she may have a change of heart. All it took for me was to let her push the little red button once and she was hooked.

Not for me. Nothing, not even rocketry, is worth that. Did I mention we have

5 kids. ; ) Get her involved!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Got a stack of small stuff to build - flatcat BG, V1, 2x V2, Bachem Natter, SR71, and going to try a scratchbuild X15.

Just waiting for the remainder of next year's building work to come through - Skunkworks Saturn V for my L3 (hopefully ready to go in September if I can get all those split dowels on without sticking myself to it!), and the massive import duty & tax stinging I'm going to get when it gets here next week :(

G.

Reply to
Graham

Please define "Natch".

Marc

Reply to
Marc Casanova

Colloquial abbreviation for "naturally"...

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

I have to get there in discrete steps. I started with small clusters; 3 or

  1. Then came my 13 motor Fat Boy. Then the 19 motor Darth Maul's Revenge. Then the rebuilt 36 motor Darth Maul's Revenge. Next the 128 motor cluster rocket which I've already named "Unforgiven".

My launch controller has to evolve along with it as well. I do not like flash pans at all. I despise flash pans. Estes Solar igniters are great for custering, but the 2 amps per igniter requires a very well thought out controller evolution. My current controller can only handle a measly 90 Solar igniters. I would not try 128 Solar igniters on it.

Then, there is the cost. I wanted to make Unforgiven a 128 Estes E9 rocket, but due to the high cost of the motors I may have to scale back to a combination of D12's and C6's with some E9's, mostly C6's though. Bummer, but still fun.

Marc Casanova

Reply to
Marc Casanova

Now that drag racing season is over and I finally found a winter beater/tow vehicle, I can get back to rocketry. I have to redesign a lighter FTBOD for next year's LDRS as one of my highest priority projects. I have to lighten it considerably to fly a Hybrid M in it. I, also need to get some experience with hybrids over the winter. I've had two motors for about a year now, Hypertek J and RATT H70, neither of which I've flown yet. I hope to rectify that soon.

Mark Simpson

I _still_ hate you...

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I saw that. It was cool!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Naturally

But it rymes with snatch too.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

check out the two rotary cutters at Aircraft Spruce

they are an incredible source for a whole spectrum of composite supplies see

- iz

Len Lekx wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Michael's and JoAnns both had 40, 50% off this past weekend. Actually, JoAnns has all cutters at 50% off, don't know if that includes the mats.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

You suck! For those of you unfamiliar with the group rec.woodworking, it's a customary retort when one announces a new power tool at an incredibly low price or that tool that everyone one wants, but cannot afford.

Joel. phx

And it is a beautiful bird. Got to watch it fly at PB and even helped move it a couple of times. I'm rebuilding the club's 10" V2 which was also produced by Andy (who graciously donated parts upon hearing of the original's destruction).

My thought on the dowels was to lay them out on packing tape, apply glue, then pick up the tape and wrap them around the body. Not sure how well that would work,....

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I've mostly been rebuilding/repairing/replacing rockets that were damaged or destroyed at the last couple of launches. A couple of them, nothing was left but the fins and motor mount. The G10 fins were still in good shape and still firmly attached, so I stripped off the remnants of the airframe, ground down the fillets with a Dremel, and then just slid the whole assembly into a new airframe.

Also been pretty busy cranking out the 4x upscale Argosy nosecones lately.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I haven't dealt with Aircraft Spruce for a while - ordered a couple of books from them, a few years ago. Most of my fiberglass purchases have been from FiberGlast and ACP.

I was hoping to find something local, before I went the mail-order route... :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

I've always wanted to score a classic PDP-11 "purple and dark pink" rack...

Unfortunately, none of the stuff I've got is actually rack mountable.

Bob Kaplow