Anybody building anything?

Lightly spray it with some clear dope. Don't use anything else, especially anything like 3M 77. It will prevent the epoxy from saturating the fibers when you apply it.

Something that thin might be better cut using one of the wheel cutters and the self healing mat.

Bob Kaplow

Is the dope a stiffening agent...? I don't get how it would be used.

That's what I'm figuring. I can get the wheel cutter, but the shops (local and online) that stock self healing mats are only three feet long, and the cloth is 38 inches.

Reply to
Len Lekx

I'm building a few 24mm min diameter rockets for a few 24mm F101s I got around here. Wafferglass fins to the wall of the motor and a slick paint/wax job might buy the ticket to meet the demon in the sky.

/ArtU

Reply to
ArtU

shelves on rack.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I built my Blue Ninja to fly E9's during the building. Takes about 5 minutes of measuring and glueing. Flies great! Make sure you measure a very little bit on the short side (1/64) so the twist-on cap for the MM is very snug.

Been considering what a F SU motor whould do when I get tired of the BN.

Karl Perry QUARK, Cincinnati, OH

Reply to
KG8GC

Ok, if you want to go that route,

1) building a cat tower for the 2 kittens we saved from the shelter. 2) Metal work on a canopy bed for the soon to be 3 year old princess. 3) Machine some brackets for the boy's bunkbed ladder. : :

Joel. phx

Joel Corwith

Would that be for the SR71 or the X-15? ;)

Colin's 7.5" V2 is in the same shipment....

G.

Reply to
Graham

Locally Bob Wiersbe did this years ago. As I recall, he got the 2 stage to work OK in test, but when he went all up, the wind was a bit higher, and the S IV-B went "TEI" instead of "TLI" (that's "trans earth injection" instead of "trans lunar injection" for you youngsters here. . .). So make sure you've thought about some of the other elements of trajectory planning before flying!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark B. Bundick mbundick - at - earthlink - dot - net NAR President www - dot - nar - dot - org

"There is a very fine line between ?hobby? and ?mental illness'."

Reply to
Mark B. Bundick

Thanks Mark, I didn't know that. Maybe I can get Bob to give me some pointers.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

You _know_ it's neither of those. ;-)

I can take or leave that.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I was planning chute at apogee, preferably big enough to save the rocket if the mains don't go. I'm going for liteply on the fins, in part as an experiment. The electronics is coming together, I'm planning on testing it in a bell-jar with a vacuum pump beforehand to make sure it'll work (well as far as murphy's law allows). I'm thinking of writing a feature into the code such that if the rocket reaches too high a descent rate (i.e. drogue not deployed) the electronics deploys the mains, but if the second stage didnt light due to electronics failure I guess the chances of main deployment are lessened. If its a pyrotechnic failure or lost continuity, shouldnt be a problem.

No, perhaps unfortunately. It's too bad not getting rocket challenge over here. The vid was on

if i remember correctly. I could post a SpaceCad file and a photo of the part collection if anyone wants a look.

-- Niall Oswald ============= UKRA 1345, L0

electronics

Reply to
Niall Oswald

I'll be doing my best, a record of the event is an absolute must, and rest assured if it all goes to plan i'll be posting plenty! All being well, photos, videos and graphs! I'll be playing it safe first with 4*D12 clusters and once I've got enough data/experience I'll go for the big one - 10 B.P. motors and probably more QM than is healthy!

-- Niall Oswald ============= UKRA 1345, L0

electronics

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Get a rotary cutter. ....Ed

Reply to
....Ed

My built-to-fly-some-E9-8-motors-I-found-on-sale-for-$3.00-a-pack model was tested naked and flew very well; being Fill'n'Finished now. The tail accepts a coupler and I'm working on a gap staged booster for it. I got it back twice on single stage flights, so I figure a D12 booster is the best way to ensure I lose it. ;)

Have a 3x24mm clustered payload model in progress for some electronics testing. The airframe is wired for timed airstarts; we'll see if those "super" caps can store enough oomph to fire different igniters reliably. I had been looking at Robert DeHate's Roctronics system, but I want to offload the altitude computing requirements from the central controller and have the sensor modules do their own arithmetic. It now looks like I'm gonna separate the electronics into two parts; a KISS flight control system (staging/recovery) and a separate data acquisition/flight recording system.

Also on the electronics side, I'm modifying my launch controller to provide a selectable current/voltage output channel with its own battery and/or capacitors. Basically, its just a simple staging/deployment circuit tester. I want to be able to test e-match and low current igniters on the ground with the same circuit used in the flight electronics.

And my LMR/L1 project is about 80% complete. The 4X24mm motor mount section is done and the 29mm motor section is ready for glassing and fin slots. I still need to install pressure/recovery mount bulkheads in the center and payload sections and make a couple chutes. If it wasn't for finals coming up, I'd have this thing finished. I hate it when real life interferes with rocketry.

Last, and certainly least as well, I've been trying for weeks to get a flex wing glider going. Going in a direction other than straight down. I can get it to glide with a gentle hand toss, but a blowgun deployment test results in a death spiral every time. (Actually, there was an inverted, gently arcing prang once. I celebrated.) The neighborhood kids have quit watching me test them; they now think boost glider means the same thing as dive bomber. Well, maybe I can use one in a spot landing contest.

Reply to
Gary

Marc,

That depends. If your anything like me the flight will last considerably longer than the sex, so I'd say go with the flight. On the other hand, you have a name and reputation to live up to, so maybe you're much better in the sex category than I am. If you're really good and inventive you should be able to combine the two. If you're really, really good you should be able to achieve simultaneous ?ejections'. In either case, good luck!

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

Yup. Like starching your laundry. (does any one do that any more?)

Bob Kaplow

I *knew* I should have ordered the optional drool bucket from Andy too...

I do hope the fibreglass is wipe-clean.

G.

Reply to
Graham

Getting a bit excited are we? ;-)

Listen, if you think those half dowels are going to be a bit too much for you, just package the whole thing back (when you've done drooling, of course) up and send it to me....

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

My dry cleaner offers it. . . .

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark B. Bundick mbundick - at - earthlink - dot - net NAR President www - dot - nar - dot - org

"There is a very fine line between ?hobby? and ?mental illness'."

Reply to
Mark B. Bundick

I don't know. It depends on how good the sex is? >;-)

Mark Simpson