Anybody building anything?

Mark, You might want to look into the original M tanks. They were short and fat, some odd dimention like 111mm dia. They are half the price of the 4in dia tanks and since you are building for it anyway.

Just a thought.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Robert DeHate

I have a couple projects going. Aside from the usual winter repair work. I want to get my Estes Commanch complete for a 3 composit motor staged flight. Flew it last weekend on a D21, its setup for dual deployment, worked great,

1300'. But the motor bonded to the MMT and when I went to remove it pulled the whole mount out.

I also have a rocket I dubbed the Orient Express that I will fly at LDRS. Here is a link to it.

12in dia, 15feet tall. Working on assebling the fincan now.

I also just got a GPS for my Hyfly III, I will add this to the computer and log that too.

want to make two M flights of it at LDRS.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

ok so I was rushed a bit to get moving. I missed a few Rocket related projects.

I need to redesign my Hybrid launch equipment to make it easier to use. I need to finish assembling my MSP430 based altimeter so I can start programming it. I have a new timer to assemble and test. I also need to complete testing of an altimeter that uses a different pressure sensor then I have been using. I have two other altimeter concepts that I am investigating, thoes eat into my time. I might even find time to do more testing of my tracking/telemetery transmitters.

Then if I get a wild hair I will build an adapter to mount my 4in Sandhawk to my 7.5in Hyfly III so I can fly it two stage. Minus the computer ballast of course. Speaking of which I still need to build a couple antennas for the network downlink for the computer and get thoes tested.

I just wish I didn't have to sleep. RDH8

Reply to
Robert DeHate

I'm working a couple of paper model conversions: A Thunderbird 3 and a Thunderbird 1.

There's also an estes DOM JPZ-1 Shuttle project going that I need to turn nosecones for.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne Surdu-Miller

Bob I've got THREE already!!!!!!!! And 7 other 7.5 inch rockets using 30 inch tubes:-)! LOVE those short and fat rockets! Hmmmmm.....maybe a 5.5 inch Warloc?

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Won't you be jealous of the cow?

I'll get my coat...

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Hey, cool! I am building one too. Mine will be painted and decaled like the newer, modern Big Bertha (black with white decals). And mine will have a 3" mount.

Drag race at LDRS? ;)

-Rich

Acti>

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse

A couple years back I grabbed a handful of Quest Lightnings at the Hobby Lobby Half Price sale. These have turned out to be perfect Fire and Forget rockets for E9s, F20s, etc except they keep coming back. First one has flown on F20 and F23. THe F23-7 flight at NARAM-44 in McGregor couldn't have landed more than 50' from the pad. And another with a 24mm MMT was used in E SD at NARAM-45 this summer, and was recovered after both flights.

Bob Kaplow

So start sanding NOW!!!

Bob Kaplow

It's got a 4 inch

on 2-38's,

(hense the Bertha

And with the 1/2

the fins are

Sheesh, with all that work into it, paint it yellow/red/black/white ranger:

--tc

Reply to
Ted Cochran

Actually, I only did a single motor in each stage. The combo was F50-4/D12-3/C6-5. The problem with the flight was the electronics, not the wind. For some strange reason the circuit decided to start timing at apogee, not liftoff (a reset pin was removed at liftoff), so both the

2nd and 3rd stages were pointed earthward when they ignited. The upper stages were trashed, the first stage was still okay.

That had to be 5-6 years ago. I've been working on a new one since then, with different electronics. Maybe I'll get it finished sometime in the next 5-6 years. After that I'll try the 5-5-1 version :) :)

Bob Wiersbe

Mark B. Bundick wrote:

Reply to
Robert E. Wiersbe

Rich Sounds great but we may have to wait until BUFFROC. Not sure if I'll have time to fly anything at LDRS. I'll be too busy keeping the rest of you guys in line:-).

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Bob Can't do it. The fin slots are already cut:-)!

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

Ted I go back even farther than that! I'm looking at using the paint schemes from the' 66 and ' 67 catalogs:-).

Lloyd Wood BRS Secretary Level lll

Reply to
Actionxprs

The nice thing about this hobby is that sometimes, even the failures make for a spectacluar flight.

I'd love to see the one you're working on fly.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

We need a name for it.

"The probability of successfully recovering a rocket is inversely proportional to your desire to get it back."

Kaplow Inverse Desirablity Principle. Not a good acronym, but catchy. Reciprocal Rocket Recovery Rule. Mmmm, acronym too plain. Reverse Effort-Recovery Relationship. I'm stuck in the R's.

Aw, there's probably a name for it anyways.

Reply to
Gary

In general, this principle is known as the Non-Reciprocal Law of Expectations:

As soon as you think about something:

If it's good, it goes away. If it's bad, it happens.

:-)

Reply to
Mark Johnson

Ahh, the Ugly Rocket Rule. The uglier the rocket, the more probable it will be recovered. The formula is as follows:

Percent chance of recovery = ( 1 / Ugliness ) * 100 ugliness is on a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being butt ugly, 10 being museum quality.

Note: this formula is only an approximation, it does not hold true at relativistic speeds.

mike

Reply to
Janine Kruger

Epoxy filler!