Camera lens affordability

So true, so true!

-Rich

Marc Kl> Too many people get carried away with megapixel counting with

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse

Ahh but the Canon Digital Rebel also has excellent noise levels at higher iso (unlike my nikon which sucks at higher iso's (coolpix 5000)

the 1DS has PHENOMINAL nosie levels at ALL its ISO levels.

but still I prefer as little as possible. I would rather wait and save up for a lens that will let me use iso100 regardless of what camera body I have.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Here is why this does not work for me.

# of pictures shot at Naram 45 - 908

that is nearly 40 rolls of film. Do the math.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

True, the Digital Rebel will be much better than any small sensor consumer camera with respects to noise.

Actually... as amazing as that camera is, its absolute noise level isn't one of its strong points compared to some of the other digital SLRs.

It also maxes out at ISO 1250. Believe me, I'd love to have one, but I don't think it'd be the best choice for rocket photography right now.

I'll be very interested to see what Canon has in store as a replacement for the 1D. Rumors have it that it's due to be announced probably early next year.

Keep saving your pennies :)

- Marc

Klinger Photography

Marc Klinger

Very few of those photos called for high resolution. Those that did probably had more than one film camera also shooting it.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I keep waiting. I have an Elan IIe that I love. I gave my daughter a Rebel to use in Photo Journalism (can you believe, they specifically prohibit digital, they use primarily B&W film, and process it themselves...). I want a digital SLR that will use the lenses we have (My 75-300MM w/image stabilization is an OK lens for launch pictures as well as kids sports). I looked at the digital Rebel, but it isn't quite there yet. Perhaps the 1D will be on firesale when the replacement comes out. For the amount of pictures I shoot with the Elan, it's still cheaper for me to have the film scanned or scan the prints myself. And film is higher resolution than any digital camera I *want* to affort.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Errr almost every single one of those 900+ shots MANDATED high resolution. in fact most of those mediocre shots would have been USELESS if it were not for the high resolution. The High resolution is what allowed me to get something useful out of just about all of those shots.

Jerry PLEASE educate yourselfs on a subject before replying on it in such a manner.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Agreed. Unless you "desire" digital or shoot enough to make it worth it your while digital is not the path to take.

Chris Taylor

For the amount of

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Do you see them translated to printed form? No. They are WEB resolution.

I did.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

"PLEASE educate yourselfs on a subject before replying on it in such a manner." - Chris Taylor

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Say Chris, the way technology makes your NARAM-45 camera obsolete for NARAM-46, have you ever considered renting a killer digital camera for a week, instead of buying them.

Bob Kaplow

I hear ya! My first camera after using my Dad's old Pentax K1000 was the Elan IIe. Great camera!

I then moved to the EOS 3 and a Nikon LS-2000 film scanner. This combo along with the Epson 1270 printer convinced me to sell off my color darkroom equipment!

My first digital camera of any kind was the 1D. I kept my eye on the D30 when it first came out, but it had too many compromises for my taste.

Digital photography is definitely here to stay. Let's hope the price keeps dropping as the quality goes up.

It's unfortunate they are enforcing a no digital SLR rule for your daughter's photo journalism class. One of the huge benefits of a digital SLR is that you can dramatically accelerate the learning curve of the technical aspects of photography with the immediate feedback available in the digital world. Not to mention almost all photo journalism today is done digitally with the time constraints of short deadlines.

Just make sure she also learns about computers, digital image processing, and the internet if she wants to make a living with photography :)

- Marc

Klinger Photography

Marc Klinger

POINT!

Then attend a launch more people are interested in:

Rocketfest

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
Alex Mericas

That's why I have my grandfather's old Nikon F. Now I just need to play with it more, and start bringing it to launches...

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Marc Klinger) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Using film instead of digital imaging means the student gets to learn about exposure,F-stops,lens focal length,shutter speed selection,depth-of- field,and metering light. (the current popular bottom-weighted metering BUGS me,there's nothing like a good spot-metering camera.)

Only the best digital cameras have selectable lenses,shutter speeds,F- stops,and they have a faster trigger-time.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, my dad picked it up in Hong Kong for my grandfather the year I was born.... 8-}

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Yeah, thanks, that a lot better.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck

EXACTLY MY POINT JERRY !!!

if I had used LOW res to shoot them the "final" result would have been SO LOW in res that it would not have even been worthy of "palm pilot" viewing and thats pretty bad.

the HIGH RES is what allowed me to get anything useful (and many of them are very much print friendly) I had to low res everything to make the nightly uploads manageable.

the actually photos total almost 2 gigabytes.

Keep trying.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

If I only shot for naram that might be an option. but then you run into the cost issue again. IE what costs more. the weeks rental or the film and developing. I am no were near rich. it took many months of savings and help as a christmas gift to get my nikon and for 99% of my shooting it is a DREAM and is more than enough resolution.

My eventual goal is the 1ds from canon. cameras do not really go obsolete. the pics my nikon takes today are just as good as the pics it took 2 years ago when I got it.

the problem is I bought it before I could afford or the technology existed to get me to the point of diminishing returns.

example. once you have a 32x or even a 24x cd burning it never goes obsolete. sure they make 48x burners but the burn time between 24x and 48x is virtually nill (lead in and lead out does not change and it becomes the steadying issue here) you might burn a CD 10 seconds or 30seconds faster at most with the faster drive.

Once people are using 11mp camera's etc.. for most using (even MOST of my uses but not all) anything higher in res is a diminishing return. IE not worth. IE it leaves the realm of obsolenceses.

the reason 35mm is so stable is because its reasolution and convenience is high enough that it is past the point of diminishing returns. IE their is no "need" to upgrade further. even though their are HUNDREDS of better cameras out their and coming out every year.

Also by renting a camera I have to relearn everything since every camera is different. every camera has a "personality" and as goofy as this sounds you really do need to be one with your camera when it comes to shooting a LOT of rockets IE getting a success rate over 90% with up close in tight shots.

Shooting from far back is easy. but when you tighten up it gets really hard and you really need to know your camera.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr