Camera lens affordability

I still have my original Pentax SLR. (and my Canon AE1 which I love)

while the canon takes much better pictures I love my pentax. I abused that camera so bad and it has so many Literal "dents" in its metal hide I am amazed it still works. its a camera I do not have to pamper and worry about hurting it.

it has some ?? forgot what its called when they "creek" when you take a picture. got to get it taken care of but the cost exceeds its value. I have dropped that camera into so many mud holes (4wheeling etc..)

Good camera.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Print resolution (ie Sport Rocketry) is 266 lines per inch of a digital source or higher.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Sport rocketry has printed much lower res than 266 also an 8x10 full res shot from my camera IS nearly 300dpi

you still did not get my point. that if I had used anything lower res many of those pictures would have not be useful in ANY manner.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

I got your point. You ignored mine and that of other posters, or at minimum did not acknowledge it.

The suggestion was to use a SUBSTANTIALLY higher res camera and nicer lenses, even if you have to borrow or rent for a measley week.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

No that is just a "seperate" point not in discussion unless you are NOW making a connection between them.

I already replied to it.

My objective is to get pictures. how much would it cost me to RENT a "nice" camera for 2-3 weeks (I would need at least 2 weeks to practice with it at MINIMUM)

And now what happens if I break it.

Either way It will cost me a lot of money and a lot of risk. I am not rich. Naram is always a penny pinching event for me. It takes a lot out of me financially. My Nikon allowed me to spend a lot lee money on pictures and more money on goodies.

I buy most of my goodies each year at naram. I buy very little "rocket" stuff throughout the rest of the year. I simply can not afford it.

but naram is a week for "me" to have fun so I make it a point to do it each year.

if I could afford it I would definately rent a nice digicam or just use film but alas I can not afford it.

I could be wrong but I was looking to rent a digicam a few years back to "try before you buy" kind of thing. (before I got my nikon) this was when I was trying to decide between the Canon G3 - Sony F707 and the Coolpix 5000. (this was JUST before I found steve's digicams which helped me finalize my decision)

it was something like 20 dollars a day. so lets assume i could get away with

2 weeks rental. after tax etc.. its about $300 - thats a lot of money. I could just use film for that price (could be cheaper today have not checked) either way it would be almost half my naram budget. Ouch.

ITs a good idea but just would not work for me.

I was not planning to upgrade my digicam for at least 1.5 years or so (at which time I planned to buy the EOS 1DS since it should be a lot more affordable by then) but the Digital Rebel might be a viable "interim" step since its lens are compatible with the 1DS (if I sell my coolpix with ALL my goodies for it (4 batteries 2 chargers 2 256mb cards readers cases wide 2x and 3x lens filters etc.. etc.. I figure I can get $900 for the lot on ebay which means the rebel would only cost me $200 out of pocket.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr