Commercial Airline Missile Defense Act

Jerry Irvine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

Well,Stinger/Igla are MAN-portable systems.Much easier to transport and use than a ground launched Sidewinder of other large SAM. And I believe the DIRCMs are civilian engineered,by private companies,to requirements set by the buyer.

Flares are a bad idea for CM,as at civilian airports,there's potential for starting ground fires,and newer missiles are multi-spectral,and some are imaging IR sensors and will ignore flares.

Also,Stinger is pretty smart,as the Rolling Airframe Missile(RAM) uses the Stinger seeker head on a Sidewinder airframe for close-in shipboard airdefense.*Instead of the Sidewinder seeker/processor*.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Joel Corwith" wrote in news:s%t%a.22$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

I believe ground-launched Sidewinder(Chaparral) SAM has about the same range/altitude envelope of the Stinger SAM. Launch from an airborne platform greatly increases the range of a missile.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Chris, it hinders law abiding citizins by spending their money of doo-dads that will not do any good, other then making a contractor rich.

If I get a contract because if this bill, I might change my tune, but the chance of that is slim.

the government has no business buying defense units for private airlines with my money. and they take a bunch of it a bunch of different ways.

BTW, did you know they that like .35 cents of every dollar small business makes away ? and that's just the feds. when your all done, you get to keep about .48 cents of every dollar you make as a small business man.

Reply to
art upton

U.S. Rockets? :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Well that is obvious. A terrorist would use anything that they can steal.

I thnk you mean a contractor like Jerry Irvine.

They could have the military absorb the unit costs, but the airline would still be burdened by carrying the extra weight.

Then all the terrorists would have to do is take over the anti-missile system and use it as an anti-arline system.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

I am talking better of 2 evils.

at least this idea has a CHANCE of success.

the patriot act SEA and other crap do NOTHING to protect me and in fact DIRECTLY harm me.

if I had to pick between the two I would pick themissle defense thing hands down without hesitation.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

For that matter, it probably doesn't have

Can you just imagine what would happen if we installed Patriot Missile Batteries at commercial airports? "Opps, got another 747, we'll have to stop setting these things on automatic when we take our lunch breaks."

steve

Reply to
default

very funny but good luck getting the Patriots to hit anything!!!

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

They hit precisely where they were designed to hit...right in our wallets.

Reply to
Anonymous

Point.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

They'd do better, if they let someone besides "Vanderbilt from F-Troop" aim the darn things. (For the younger viewers, Vanderbilt was the lookout for a Cavalry troop and he wore coke bottle glasses)

Randy

Reply to
Randy

"Randy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I made an "F-Troop" reference tonight to a young lady(about ATF),and she did not know what it meant. F-Troop (TV show)was before her time,I guess. Oh,well...

Reply to
Jim Yanik