FlisKits: NARAM 47

FlisKits would like to invite everyone to NARAM 47 for a weeks worth of fun and excitement with sport rocketry!

FlisKits will be there the whole week with a booth full of kits and a whole lotta fun!

We will be announcing our newest kit, the Rock Star as well as have a display of our entire Micromaxx line that is coming out in the fall, as FlisKits prepares to take command of this market segment.

We also hope to have a display of our Launch Controller, also coming late fall.

And, not to be missed will be the launching of the largest *model* rocket in the world, the Dudley Do-Right which can be seen in this picture:

This scratchbuild was tested at a recent CATO launch and performs wonderfully on a cluster of 4 D12 motors!

SO, come on out and say hi and see what we're up to at FlisKits :)

jim

Reply to
jflis

Lot's O Cups.

:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You gonna bring your partner along one of these days? Say hi to Brian for me.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Well, using the Estes Porta Pad as an internal size reference, the rocket appears to be only about 6 feet tall - no big deal. What I want to know is where did you find that funny looking little dwarf to stand next to it!

;)

See ya at NARAM. Jay Calvert

Jay Calvert

oh, I was just feeling *small* that day... :)

oh, and Bob, as for my partner (Brian McCarthy, folks :) ), I ain't

*bringing* him anywhere. Hell, I can barely lift MY torso out of the chair, I ain't lifting another... I invite him to the outtings, but he is a very busy guy.

As for the Dudley Do-Right, it has (i beleive) 132 20 oz. cups in her hull. If I am not mistaken, this makes the Dudley Do-Right the largest "Model Rocket" to ever fly. At 2.2 pounds (dry weight) and a cluster of 4 D motors, she qualifies as a "model rocket" and no certification is needed to fly. She stands 18'6" and is nearly 2 feet across at the fins.

gonna be a hoot. I just hope we have a calm day, or a calm hour... ...heck, I'd settle for a good "sucker-lull"... :)

jim

Jay Calvert wrote:

Reply to
jflis

Jim,

Hopefully I'll be there when she flies.

Curiosity compels me to ask.... unless you're bringing a trailer full of stuff to sell (naturally! Just answered my own question, I think...) and/or this thing breaks down in the middle, how are you planning on getting this thing to the launch?

Although the idea of running down to the closest GFS store and buying a few sleeves of foam cups, some body tubes from a vendor, and going to town right on the field does sound like a way to go about it. Hmmmmmm....?!?!?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Tuskes

OK, Jim, EXACTLY how tall is this. I'm guessing close to 20'. Back at NARAM-22 Dave Cook and Alan Jones flew a 23' tall superroc on a single A10 motor! I think we could extend that technology several more feet if yours really is taller than that. maybe more if we use a C motor :-)

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Well, tell him I said hello, and make sure you get a photo of my egglofters to show him.

OK, would you settle for a tie for second. My NARAM-22 A SR was about the same length, but it only weighed 5 ounces. Dave Cook and Alan Jones had one that was several feet taller, and weighed LESS. Both `flew' on A10-0T motors.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

That may be the largest LMR. I think my old 4.0 Oz., A10 powered, Trusswerk I from NARAM 22 still has you beat. Nice picture, good luck with the launch.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

I think he was going for Volume! Anyone can twist the numbers to their advantage :-)

Reply to
David

The Dudley Do-Right is 18 feet 6 inches. I never claimed it was the tallest, rather the largest (volumn). Heck, *i've* built "taller" rockets. This thing is in the neighborhood of 5600 cubic inches... :)

Reply to
jflis

I'd stay with clustered A10's, up to 16 Oz. GLM. Trusswerk I was modular in 3 Ft. sections. We had an additional section ready to splice in if needed.

Trusswerk I was not optimized for maximum length. It was perhaps optimized for ease of assembly, and supported only by some back of the envelope type analysis. Trusswerk II likely would have likely been optimized for transportation and storage, e.g. nesting sections. Sometimes I wonder what 25 years of design evolution would have done to Trusswerk.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Carbon fibre truss instead of balsa strips. Covered in Jap Tissue so its all enclosed.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Highly unlikely.

Only if required by rule. However, covering the balsa elements with Jap tissue would be possible, given enough time.

Actually things change as you move up in motor class and hit the (old) weight limit. After that, max q starts to rise, and tracked altitude may become significant, length may decrease... I never liked stupidroc, but at least the old rules had more scope for creative engineering.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones