Has someone been in the Estes Dumpster?

Strange items for sale. (And high shipping fees)

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
shreadvector

Shipping fees in general seem to have gone through the roof on eBay lately... is it because of the fee increases? Or just greed?

Reply to
David

Three factors:

  1. eBay itself encourages sellers to include shipping charges in the listing; and you DO get more bids that way. But most sellers don't have the items boxed and weighed before listing, so they leave themselves some room in case it's more than expected.

  1. Greed. Padding the shipping helps "make up" for increased fees, "too low" selling prices, etc.

  2. Fee avoidance. eBay doesn't collect fees on shipping. I've seen ,
5 oz. electronic parts with shipping and handling fees over $100. (What the part is actually worth) "Excessive" fees are against eBay rules, but they're rarely caught.
Reply to
Scott Schuckert

More because people on eBay are just plain stupid. I've seen numerous items that are still readily available go for retail, or more, for used merchandise!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

For the most part, greed.

I see rocketry items regularly listed on several auction outlets that ship for 3 times the actual cost.

Randy

<randyolb

Auction fever.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Reply to
Jim M

Not very. IIRC it's the closest "big" town. Maybe 20 minutes to the east?

Bob Kaplow

Estes does "dump" products, but through channels ala Big Lots and MacDougals.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That too.

Randy

<randyolb

zoom out one notch to see Peublo.

Perhaps your attempt to use Yahoo Maps or Mapquest failed because you typed in "Pemrose" instead of "Penrose"?

Reply to
shreadvector

Not raw parts or partial bags of parts (like the Goliath bags which seem to contain only

*some* of the Goliath parts that normally go into those starter sets).

Looks like a surplus sale from the factory or a local place that did bagging/boxing for them.

Or the stuff "fell off a truck".

fuggettaboutit....

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Big Lots?!? There's one close to me - maybe I need to check 'em out...

Eldred

Reply to
Eldred Pickett