Idiot-proof starter rocket?

Consider the following buyer:

- doesn't know anything about rocketry

- doesn't know anything about rocket hobby stores

- isn't going to learn anything beyond the basics

- would appreciate watching something go up in the air and say "Whee!" for the experience

Can you recommend both a rocket and an online supplier? I decided that rockets were my Christmas theme this year, for anyone I didn't have a specific idea for, that I thought would get a kick out of it. I got 2 friends of mine some cheapo $20 rockets from Toys 'R' Us. No idea how good they are, we haven't shot 'em off yet. I'm running behind on some of my gift-giving so I need to send rockets to at least 2 more people.

Remember: Rockets for Dummies [TM]

Reply to
Brandon J. Van Every

The best goof-proof rocketry is things like the Estes ready-to-fly kits that include a fully assembled rocket, launch pad, and a couple of engines. I've seen these in the local Wal-Mart for less than $20. I also found them on line for around $27.00 @ Tower Hobbies.

There are a fair number of suppliers out there who can set you up

Some common reccommendations:

Red Arrow Hobbies

Countdown Hobbies

Commonweath Displays

I'me sure some other readers have suppliers they would recommend

Al Gloer

I'd recommend SemRoc beginer rockets that have the flavor of he old 60s rockets that made us old guys (ok in our 40s) become hooked.

The Little Herc flys great on A8-3 egines and needs nothing preped at all, and fly at the local park. Insert engine and fire. tumble back down. Rinse and Repeat.

The Astro-1 will be a great paracute rocket for A and B motors again at the local park.

Get both at those prices, and build both in an evening , with no prior experiance.

SemRoc makes some great old time flavor kits.

Art Upton

ArtU

Start with Red Arrow. He is a rocketeer's rocketeer.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I think that's what I actually got my other friends for Christmas. Thanks for jogging my memory. So now it's about suppliers.

Reply to
Brandon J. Van Every

Overall I'm not that impressed with any of the starter sets, particularly the ground support equipment (launch pad and controller for the beginner). The one that I like best is the Quest controller that is shaped like a hand grip and uses 9v alkaline batteries. I'd get any of the starter sets that use this controller and you actually have to BUILD the rocket, instead of everything being preassembled.

Bob Kaplow