Jerry's Motors IMHO

I have purchased and flown a variety of Jerry's motors, all of which have performed flawlessly. They ignite quickly, burn steadily and the ejection charge works as specified...no bonus or shorts. I wish he could get them certified. I think they are as good and in some cases, better than what AT offers. People who haven't tried them should. While sanctioned launches can permit them, individual private launches can. We are or will be losing AT in the future...I'd bet the farm on it. The window is open for USR to rise to the forefront and take the place it richly deserves. Guys, I've never even seen Jerry in person and his emails with me are short, rather cryptic and polite but not warm and snuggly. People kick him around somewhat and Jerry from time to time, rises to the bait and opens himself up for a ration of crap. But, fellow rocket heads, his motors are good and we need them now more than ever. I hope we can encourage him to get into production. Mean while, anyone interested in a complete set of AT cases in 18, 24 and 29 mm?

Reply to
Reece Talley

Much as I hate to say it, you are probably right.

Reply to
Ed

I tend to agree but I would help Gary any way possible myself. I would rather kick his ass in the market place than see anyone lost to government action or criminal claims. Or TRA/NAR self defeat.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

What makes you think the currently certified manufacturers are less worthy than USR, or less likely to take AT's place if AT goes belly up?

Reply to
RayDunakin

As someone who has flown Jerry's motors, I think you should know. If you don't know check Jerry's web site & take a look at the charactersitics of his motors.

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

I didn't say that, and I'm pretty sure I didn't imply that either but, if I did, I would like to correct that now. Other manufacturers are of course, equally deserving. But they alone do not guarantee the continued flow of motors into consumer hands. The addition of USR would be one more thing in our favor. That's what I am saying.

Reply to
Reece Talley

A good point Phil. USRs has a wide variety of motors in configurations that nobody else has. For example, Jerry has a 29mm G280 and IIRC a 29mm G360 that absolutely have to be flown to be believed. In a LOC Lil' Nuke they are awe inspiring. Jerry also has a G8 that burns and burns and burns... This list is just scratching the surface. He offers what nobody else does, that makes him pretty worthy in my book.

Reply to
Reece Talley

It is obvious to the casual observer that LMR business is tough. CTI shys from it, AMW shys from it, Foamy Ellis shys from it, and AT or a paramour goes BK every couple of years focusing on it.

You are damn lucky to have any at all. Even Estes shyed away from it!

Hypothetical Example:

20 years of AT LMR sales average $500.000 a year 20 years of materials and business costs $400,000 a year Total net proceeds $2,000,000 Total costs and expenses $8,000,000 ONE industrial accident $12,000,000

Net cost to consumers of the motors - $20,000,000 Readjusted market price of motors +120% Assuming a 20% profit margin.

Sample errortech prices

Description Current Market adjusted SU F21W 2 pack 23.95 52.69 RL G64W 10.25 22.55 RL H128W 12.50 27.50 RL J350W 42.50 93.50

Source:

May reflect market prices vs retail prices.

These are the MINUMUM prices one would expect for Chapter 11 to NOT convert to Chapter 7. IF the creditors are patient.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Aloha, I also have heard nothing but good about Jerry's motors. I just cannot get past his (punitive) minimum order. Jerry may have faults (like the rest of us) but he can make a motor.

Larry

Reply to
AkaZilla

We flew one of these things recently. Has a regressive burn. Put an Estes FatBoy with a 29mm mount up a thousand feet then arched over and continued to produce a little thrust all the way down. Ejection was a few seconds after impact. Still, it's a cool little motor. Would absolutely rock in a light Rocket Glider!

-- Bruce Kirchner TRA L2 #5888 Michigan Team 1 High Power Rocketry Proud Gun Owner!

Reply to
Bruce Kirchner

Needs to be flown in a 1.6" rocket or less and preferably high l/d too.

Not a fat Boy motor :-(

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Phil S. wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

Did you get them "from me" or were they from the batch Teeling sold at Ocotillo launches? Sometimes through an onsite dealer.

Not paying attention to ANY manufacturer websites, eh?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Definitely sounds like a monocopter motor! :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I think the biggest drawback to using Jerry's motors has nothing to do with Jerry or his motors. It is the fact that you need a private or non-TRA/NAR affiliated field. Fields large enough and remote enough (from highways and airports) to launch high power rockets are very rare around here (NC), and the ones that do exist have crops 90% of the year.

Reply to
David

Which is itself caused by TRA/NAR unreasonably withholding or worse, withdrawing, or worse yet refusung renewal of CERTS.

So have a launch at the SAME SITE on a different day and time?

Gees.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That was it's original design goal. Monocopters are better if they have higher initial thrust. The G008 is like an F40 for the first second or so.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

To get hold of a few of these would definitely bring up some possibilities.......I've already flown a small mono on an E6 up at the local park........ next summer, early sunday morning, a light wind, a few interested spectators....... :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

email

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It is a private site, Jerry. I guess you can blame in on TRA/NAR as well, but the owners have granted rights for 1 weekend a month to the clubs. They won't allow individuals to launch at other times. Yes, I've asked.

Reply to
David