Launch Report - West Branch, MI

Yesterday was a fantastic day to launch rockets in Michigan. It's one of those days that comes about once a millenium and I was Hellbent on taking full advantage of the opportunity.

  1. 5.38" Diameter 6' long Woody (the rocket AND me )on a 5-grain Pro38 J, trimmed to 8 seconds. Great boost, chute at apogee, reasonable walk. I'd give it an "A".
  2. Lil Johnny Outhouse - new kit from Newton's 3rd Rocketry on an F20-4. Straight boost with a bit of a wiggle. Ejection was at apogee, but chute AND streamer got a little tangled (note: the kit comes with a
12' streamer, but I wasn't comfortable with a 1 pound rocket coming in on a streamer. I had added positive reinforcement and added about an ounce or so of additional clay to the roof to counterbalance the motor retention.
  1. Lil Nuke on an F25-6. Good boost, long walk. No damage.
  2. Lil Johnny Outhouse on an AT G35-4 Econojet. Straight boost with a more pronounced wiggle. Chute (small flare chute in baby deployment bag) tangled on one of the Lexan fins and freed itself just feet above the ground. No damage, heart racing though.
  3. 6' long 2 1/2" diameter Matchstick (wood-grained contact papered rocket with bulbous red NC with white tip to resemble strike-anywhere match) on an AT G35-4 Econojet. Good boost and recovery
  4. CARDE 4443 all fiberglass 4-piece rocket (see Magnum website for picture) on an Ellis G35-4. Lumbered off the rod and weathercocked away from the spectator line. Long walk, no damage
  5. 1/3rd scale FTBOD on an AT H165 Redline. Dead straight boost, nice red flames, ejection well past apogee. Good thing it's rear "spool-type" ejection. No damage.

Got to see an L1 and L2 cert at the launch as well. A great day was had by all. If we had more flying days like that in Michigan, I'd be a pauper by now. ;-)

Mark Simpson

Sounds like Team One had a great day. I was planning the trip until Friday afternoon when my phone rang. I ended up at my desk from noon until 9 PM:( I kept wandering outside to look at the great weather. I gotta get out and burn some motors...Hopefully soon.

Steve Schafer NAR #80427 L2

Reply to
Steve Schafer

So many projects, so little time!

I've been planning a HyperTEK L powered rocket for some time, and I now have most of the pieces I need to build it. I also promised my wife I'd complete the downstairs bathroom before I undertake any serious work on the 3B. I gotta see the Norton. How are you gonna carry rockets on that thing?

The 3B needs a few things to be road worthy: some attention to the fuel pump, a gas tank, new brakes and new windshield hinge bolts. After that, there's a long list of items I could address as part of the resto/repair process. I'd like to find a Bantam 1/4 ton trailer so I can use it to haul rocket stuff. ;^)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Chmara