Non-Toxic Epoxy Needed

We have to keep the front door locked. When someone knocks, one of the AGs will say "Hello" or "Come Here!" She even says it in my wife's voice. People have taken this as an invitation to come in. You ain't lived until you walk out of the bathroom, pants still unzipped and tucking in a shirt-tail, only to meet the meter reader.

We guessed wrong on Holmes. That makes two ways the name doesn't fit. Female and not the brightest bird in the flock. Sigh

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Hmmm, I've never seen a parrot MSDS before. But for some reason this reminds me of a Monty Python sketch...

Years ago I got some Hexcel Safe-T-Poxy, but I'm not sure it's around any more. And CA fumes are an irritant, but are NOT toxic, at least to humans.

But your best solution would be to keep the fumes away from the birds. Or keep the birds away from the fumes. or brush up on your Monty Python routines, just in case.

Bob Kaplow

Try the 209 extra slow instead of the 206 slow. Mixes 3 to 1 instead of

5 to 1. When they say extra slow, they mean SLOOOOWWWW.
Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Those cardbaord tubes Dad is using for his rockets are a great place to hide. Tasty too!

Isn't it really fun when the decide they need to protect their teritory ( meaning you ).

Al

Reply to
Al Sterner

I saw they had that but, the 205+206 is significantly more expensive than Aeropoxy & 209 is significantly more expensive that 205+206. I haven't tried 209 but from the description, it sounds like it's cure time is similar to the Aeropoxy that I use.

Aeropoxy is noticably thicker than West but not so thick that it's a problem.

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Watch out for Aircraft Spruce. When I went to buy Aeropoxy from them, they wanted to hit me with hazmat shipping fee. Wicks Aircraft

didn't have the hazmat fee.

Phil Stein

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

We may be onto a pattern here. I have a six year old Senegal and a 12 year old Yellow-naped Amazon. I'm well aware of the respiratory sensitivities of my friends; so far I've had no difficulties.

For painting, I have a small room with two windows, lined with plastic tarps. An exhaust fan in one window, with the other left open, keeps it ventilated without involving the rest of the house. Sort of a walk-in paint booth.

For glue (I use Bob Smith CA and Epoxy) I simply keep my distance - a room or two away - from the birds, and turn the air filter (with fresh charcoal element) up to HIGH.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

BrundlFly wrote in news:Xns943DAF9D6150Etheflysomecom@207.217.77.202:

As far as I can tell, he's bonding birds. Perhaps he's taking the "mate for life" concept a little too literally? :-)

Reply to
David W.

I'll be downstairs at the computer, and the Amazon in my bedroom will start yelling, "Scott! Scott!"

"What do you want, Charlie?"

"Scott, come up!"

When I reach the top of the stairs, I get a polite "Hello."

When I ask again what she wants, I hear "Have a peanut?"

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote in news:cRD37C6W$ snipped-for-privacy@eisner.encompasserve.org:

Or you could get some cheap birds (pigeons?) to experiment with,to find a non-toxic epoxy. B-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Some things are constant across species.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Parrots aren't really so much the "bond for life" birds. Not even the lovebirds.

I could tell you stories, but they get cruder than a history of the lives of Clinton, Gingrich, Schwartzenegger, and Thurmond. Let's just say that the morality of parrots consists of "Am I gonna get caught, and if caught, will anything bad happen?"

Pretty much like Clinton, Gingrich, Schwartznegger, and Thurmond.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Look, I quit fishing because I felt guilty for what I was doing to the worms. I did not kill the fish.

Scratch-birds...nah, can't do that. The only reason I'm not a vegetarian is the cockatoo's fondness for drumstick bones.

I'd say "It's no one he knows" but that's not exactly a selling point with the cockatoo.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Erica bends down and elongates her neck until the bones make a snapping sound (like cracking your knuckles, I guess), when she is approached by a stranger. She also growls.

and when I horseplay with the kids to the point that they yell excitedly, Erica shreiks in complaint as if to say "behave yourself!"

amazing animals, the Greys :o)

- iz

Al Sterner wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

I would not trust any epoxy to be truly safe, regardless of the advertising claims.

I got sensitized to epoxy over 10 years ago. For many years I never had a problem, then one day it hit. Now I can't be remotely close to epoxy without wearing a respirator and eye protection, or I react. I'm also highly sensitive to other chemicals now, too, like gasoline, solvents, paint, even fragrances. A model painted with Krylon days ago will set me off. I warn people all the time about taking precautions when working with epoxy and other nasties. The most common reply is, "I don't have to worry about it, epoxy doesn't bother me." My reply is always the same: "Don't worry, it will."

Canary in a coal mine, indeed! Pay attention to the bird!

-- Ross Hironaka

Reply to
Ross Hironaka

This should be inthe FAQ!!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

thats cool!

:o)

when Erica wants a treat, she goes to her 'treat' bowl, yanks it up to clang the cage, and puts her head in it and makes a vocalization so it reverberates within the bowl. No mistaking the sequence of sounds.

of course she has successfully programmed my conditioned response to provide her with 3 "monkey biscuits" or 1 alfalfa chew cube

I wonder what else she's taught me?

- iz

Scott Schuckert wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Yeah! Don't you love the little look over the shoulder to see if your still watching after you told him not to do something.

Al

Reply to
Al Sterner

What I find a bit chilling is that many kit instructions suggest procedures like smoothing epoxy fillets with a finger - and no mention of using gloves!

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

When caught playing with objects outside one of the "bird approved" areas of the house, my Amazon will flee back to her cage and slam the door behind her.

I know an African Gray that protests " I do nuuuthingk!" in an excellent Sargeant Shultz voice, in similar situations.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert