OT / New Mustang

Question,

Saw the new Mustang add, side port windows looks very 68, headlights and grill kind of '69? Very nice, even had a short seen from Bullet with Steve McQueen (spelling?)

I wonder what's under the hood? Probably not a big block, but a supercharger would be nice. (Tell me it's a crime to put an in-line six in this, hybrid would be a better choice.)

Who's from Detroit with the real inside scoop here?

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Oh it's got V8....300hp to boot. This is Ford's big budget muscle car for the masses at $25k. That's the selling point; $25k for 300hp.

I'm thinking if I skip lunches for a year or so, maybe make a *few* trips to the plasma bank....

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

I took one for a test drive a couple of weeks ago. It not only out performed my '98 Mustang GT, it out performed my '68 GT-500 too. The salesman got a bit antsy when I took it from 0-60 in about 5 seconds. :-)

The SVT Mustang that is rumored for next year promises to be even better.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

You have a GT-500?!?!?!?!?!?

Mario, pictures...pronto...a.b.m.r...now. I need this. Throw a brutha a bone. It's your civic duty. There is such a thing as a 4 wheeled rocket.

Ted 'I really need this' Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Mario Yup! 400HP and an independent rear! Out preformed a GT 500??????? Has your 428 got a cold:-)?

Lloyd

Reply to
Actionxprs

A gal that lives around the corner from me has a Shelby GT-500. Tools around town at 30 MPH. Makes me want to jump out and slap her. "Lady.. You've got to get the gunk out. Take it out on a back road, and do, like,

140 MPH. That'll get the gunk out." It should be a felony to give a car like that to a housewife. Her husband drives an old beat-to-sh*t Fury. Go figure.

James (Yes, I'm jealous)

Reply to
James L. Marino

Unfortunately I don't have it anymore, it was my first car. I'm sure I can find some pictures to post though.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

No. I was comparing total performance to the GT-500 when it was at it peak. The new Mustang corners better, stops better, has a higher top end and is more stable. From a standing start, and probably through the first 1/4 mile, the GT-500 would eat it alive. The SVT Mustang will be a different story.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

You can find some photos at

If you compare the first two to the last you'll notice changes other than the obvious paint job change. The fender wells were flared a bit for better tire clearance and an air dam was added to the front for better handling. If you look real close you'll see the headrests from the Recaro seats, You can't see it in the pictures but there were some suspension and motor upgrades as well. It would pass anything but a gas station...

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

Thank you. I feel better now. I needed a fix, bad.

I can't really explain it but I always had a soft spot for 'stangs. Despite my love I've only owned one Mustang, a '68. When I heard that Ford was going to be doing a $25k 300hp version.... well, I had to crunch the numbers and unfortunetly I can't make those numbers work :(

btw, did you know they remastered the original Gone in 60 seconds on dvd? The 5.1 sound with the car wrecks is so sureal, but in a good way :)

Ted 'Eleanor is in my heart' Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Mario Perdue wrote:

Reply to
nedtovak

I've always liked them too. I've had the GT-500, a '68 390 GT, a '79 Pace Car and my current '98 GT. If the economy recovers to the point where I start getting work again, a new Mustang will be had. Surprisingly, my wife said I should wait until the Cobra comes out and get it. She says it will be the only thing that will really make me happy. You gotta love a woman who thinks that way. :-)

Same here right now. I'm working hard to change that.

No, I didn't. I'll have to check it out.

I just finished watching Bullitt on DVD... again! I saw the new Mustang commercial with Steve McQueen in it and I couldn't help myself, the DVD just had to be played...

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

The problem with owning those things is that if you use it (and I mean use it like you're supposed to) you risk wrecking it or devaluing it, and if you don't use it (or use it wrong--like cruising around at

30mph) the thing will gunk up or dry up. Have you seen the collector prices on any of the original fastback Mustangs or Shelbys? She could sell that car and use the money to buy a primo Lexus right now.

I love those cars too, I just can't see owning one.

Scott McCrate NAR 71680

Reply to
Scott McCrate

snip

Nice wife to think of that. I think a brand new Shelby would be cool if they still made them.

I've never really been a Mustang guy, I blew too many of them off the street with my 72 Goat. Been thinking real hard about the new G.T.O. Documented

0-60 in 5.3 ; )

A new 1972 Chevelle SS 454 would be cool too!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Yeah, I have a psych problem with a car costing more than my first home. : )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Primo Lexus...why pay 3 times the price for a Toyota with leather seats? Collector cars appreciate in value, almost without regard for what you do with them, whereas a Lexus will be just another worthless vehicle. As my dad would have said, "I wouldn't trade a picture of a Shelby for anything Lexus makes". Besides, they are all just cages.

Anyway, on to option 3 for usage: Me, the Hayabusa and the SV track bike are all going to Road Atlanta on Saturday, and a grand time WILL be had by all. Although the chances of tearing up some equipment is still there, the odds are much more in my favor on a track with real runoff areas, no soccer moms in minivans, no idiots with cell phones stuck in their ear, etc..

8/10th of a mile back straight, here I come.
Reply to
Tweak

Risk is life. Cars are made to be driven.

Those oh so true words were said to me by a guy minutes after he just trashed the front end of his vintage Ferrari 250GT at Brainard International a few years ago.

It's a tough pill to swallow but he is right in every way.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
nedtovak

The thing is with that Ferrari, the car can be rebuilt and restored and still maintain it's original collector value. Many of the old Ferraris of that vintage were originally raced and bent up, restored and still bring $1M+ at auction. The Shelbys Mustangs probably also fall into that category, but a top notch restoration can cost as much as the car.

I admire his philosophical outlook on the bending of the Stallion though :0).

Scott McCrate

Reply to
Scott McCrate

Oooohh... Chevelle Super Sport 454...

Knock it off, guys...I'm drooling all over my keyboard.

James

Reply to
James L. Marino