OT: So Much for Freedom

Tai,

While I understand what you are saying, bear in mind that the sort of mentality you just described is extremely dangerous. Millions of people have died because of it, and many more people will continue to die unless it stops. People in all sects of all religions need to learn to respect one another and stop preaching that their way is the "only" way. Fundamentalism, in particular, is a threat to the stability of the entire world. Unless it stops, the human race is doomed to be consumed by its immaturity and shortsightedness.

Reply to
Brian McDermott

That's a load of politically correct garbage. You can respect one another while still preaching your way is the "only" way. It's how you treat those who choose not to follow you. Jesus said that he was the way. But he also taught to lead by example not by coercion. And even he got angry at the money changers. I have no problem with people believing their way is the "only" way. As long as they don't prevent me from following my way.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Point.

This should be in the FAQ.

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Absolutely Correct. The problem is not exclusivism and the answer is not relativism. The problem is the violent attempt by radical Muslims (in this particular case) to force everyone else to accept their brand of exclusivism. Most of us have strongly held views about some things (I like rockets!) and that's OK as long as we don't use force or coersion to make others agree with us. Freedom is not that we don't have strong opinions; rather freedom is being able to have an exclusive view on a particular issue while at the same time respecting others who have a different (or even contradictory) view of the same issue. Larry Lobdell Jr.

Reply to
Larry Lobdell Jr.

Absolutely Correct. The problem is not exclusivism and the answer is not relativism. The problem is the violent attempt by radical Muslims (in this particular case) to force everyone else to accept their brand of exclusivism. Most of us have strongly held views about some things (I like rockets!) and that's OK as long as we don't use force or coersion to make others agree with us. Freedom is not that we don't have strong opinions; rather freedom is being able to have an exclusive view on a particular issue while at the same time respecting others who have a different (or even contradictory) view of the same issue. Larry Lobdell Jr.

Reply to
Larry Lobdell Jr.

at least Jesus didnt tell people to kill or blow themselves up to spread their view. But Muhammad thinks they ought to kill anyone that is not muslim or make them pay some tax. Plus the Islamic religion itself is a whole can of worm.... you'd waste your time arguing about wheather or not you can eat Jello!

-- TAI FU

Reply to
tai fu