re: NFPA and rocketry

the NFPA definition for a "certified user" does not contain any requirement that the individual certified is a member of its (or any) organization:

NFPA 1127 - Code for High Power Rocketry, 2002 Ed. (excerpted for editorial review)

3.2 NFPA Official Definitions. 3.3.5* Certified User. An individual, a distributor, or a seller who has been tested or otherwise examined by a recognized organization that is acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction jurisdiction and has been found to be qualified to purchase, possess, and use high power rocket motors.

5.4 User Certification Provisions.

5.4.1 Certification of a user shall require both of the following: (1) Proof that the user is at least 18 years old (2) Proof that the user possesses a level of knowledge and competence in handling, storing, and using a high power solid-propellant rocket motor and high power rockets that is acceptable to the certifying organization 5.4.2 The certifying organization shall maintain a list of all persons it has certified as high power rocket motor users.

the only reference to member status in the context of certification is for reporting purposes. According to the following, an organization is only required to supply authorities with certification status of its active members. In view of the preceding, that does not preclude performing user certification for non-members.

5.4.2.2 Upon request and receipt of applicable fees, if any, confirmation of an active member?s user certification shall be provided to the following: (1) Law enforcement official or authority having jurisdiction

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

That's why I asked if NAR has the same "loyalty oath" the alleged criminal organization TRA has.

Precisely. MOST rocketeers are non-members.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

< the only reference to member status in the context of certification is for reporting purposes. >>

But since it DOES mention member status, it can be implied that one must be a member to obtain certification. However, if you believe otherwise, why not get ARSA to issue certs that do not require membership?

Reply to
RayDunakin

I have already addressed this, Ray. In addition to being irrational, do you also suffer from short term memory loss?

observe:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Yes, I'm aware of that. "ARSA doesn't believe in certs". So what's the problem? You already have a club that does things your way. It's like joining a Canadian football league and then demanding the NFL adopt Canadian football rules.

(Note to sports fans: I know nothing about football, Canadian or otherwise, so please bear with me if I screwed up this analogy.) :)

Reply to
RayDunakin