Rocket Challenge on Discover

I'll try. It's k > ..

like God intended newsgroup messages to be arranged? >>

AOL let's you choose either method, with this one being the default (at least on the old version I'm running). I'm partial to this version myself, since it makes it a heck of a lot easier to edit the quotes and doesn't add more and more brackets everytime something gets quoted.

Reply to
RayDunakin

I agree. Also smoking a joint is safer than tobacco becausethere are fewer flying ashes :-)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That's your opinion. The fact is, Chuck does have professional aerospace experience.

At NASA, or at sport launches?

I think you missed something along the way in this conversation, Bob. This Brett fellow was implying that his opinion of how sport launches should be run (safety-wise) was the only correct one simply because he is an aerospace professional. I pointed out that there are aerospace professionals in the hobby who do not share his opinion.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Good point! In fact, I have seen a Cub Scout's single-stage Estes model powered by only a C6 smash through the rear window of a pickup truck and embed itself in the dash.

Reply to
RayDunakin

But as compared with what Chuck Rogers has bestowed on us, "Brett" is a turbo-expert.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I also put it in quotes, because with the introduction of injection-molded plastic nose cones, this became a very dubious proposiion. Of course, all this does is invalidate the argument about modrocs- doesn't address the problem I was attempting to address, infact it makes it more widespread.

I've caught lawn-darting modroc models with my hand, and seen any number of them hit soft dirt and penetrate about 1", while shattering to confetti.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck

Me too and there is no rule against it :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

depends on who rolled it :-D

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Chuck Rogers is also a liar who can not be trusted, especially when safety and compliance with regulations are concerned.

Bob Kaplow

Early on we had a Gnome land within 50 feet of us and impale itself 4" into the ground..........I have video of a 4 ounce rocket landing 3 feet from the launch pad and also impaling itself 4 " into the ground. The common factor was the small the aspect ratio of the Estes rocket made it arrive by stealth.......they scare me to death......in short small rockets can haul into the ground (or skull) at surprising rates without being seen.......at bigger launches with bigger rockets there are more eyes on everything, if a large rocket came in ballistic there is a larger (by an exponential number) aspect ratio making it being seen before disaster much more probable, and way more people looking toward the sky........Estes, on larger than suggested motors, can be far deadlier than big projects gone awry...........flaming propellant is all that scares me at a larger launch......big motor launches are not something I fear......small stuff is. I'll take my chances at a big launch anyday/

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Digging yourself into a hole again, Ray? Anyone who is prepping a rocket at a typical highpower launch could endanger many people around them if they did something stupid. People park near each other, put their tents next to each other. I've seen ejection charges go off and make others startled enough to injure themselves trying to get out of the way. I've seen a whole can of BP left open and unattended. People get complacent or are just plain stupid.

Also, if you want to have a hobby to enjoy legally, there better be some rules, even if it's only to protect people from themselves. An 'incident' will at least raise the insurance premiums, or worse, get used as an excuse for over-regulation. "Nanny state", indeed. -John

Reply to
John DeMar

reload charge)

The numbers are worth discussing, but the HPR under chute figure is more appropriate for HPR under drogue. For HPRs under chute, a descent rate of 10 to 15 fps is more reasonable (ironically, for the same reason: they have lots of KE and tend to break if they hit any harder...).

So pick a middle value for velocity, and you drop an order of magnitude in the final value. I don't think the ones under chute are quite the hazard to be worrying about...

--tc

Reply to
Ted Cochran

Come on in, join the crowd. ;)

Keep spinning the revolver, pulling the trigger... see, nothing happened! Maybe Ray should try out for the next "Men of Genius" commercial.

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

If you don't think that is happening on a regular basis, you must be launching rocket out in the middle of nowhere all alone. ... oh, uh, well... never mind.

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

Has that happened yet?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

There's something we all can agree on.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

John DeMar wrote:

Reply to
RayDunakin

ya need that attitude when they are in diapers. works well for stress

my SWMBO looks at me and says "don't say it, don't even THINK it!"

Reply to
tater schuld

I prefer a pipe and borkum riff. that ashed stay in the bowl where they should be. put the pipe in the pocket (only caught fire twice).

besides, I am too nervous about the flight to smoke while prepping, before and after sure. nice slow walk for recovery and my briar are just fine

Reply to
tater schuld

John DeMar done rit:

Once again John, you miss the point. I'm not claiming that an injury accident could never occur. I'm saying that precautions are in place to _reduce_ the risk to an acceptable level, and that these precautions are working.

Reply to
RayDunakin