Rocket Challenge on Discover

Good point, George!

Amen!

Reply to
RayDunakin

Go to

and select Chicago Playlist, then November 8 for a good list of classic train songs. Reminds me of how much we miss Steve Goodman.

Bob Kaplow

Bob Kaplow wrote: ...

yeah, Steve Goodman is definitely missed around here. I've learned a few of his songs too. unfortunately I never heard of him until he was long gone.

thanks for the midnight special link.

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GCGassaway) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com:

The only way they differ from loaded guns is the bullets are bigger.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

I dissagree. I'll grant you that the nature of R&D is different from the other events, but so is Scale, PMC, and most other events are unique in some way. NAAM 45 proved that making R&D a non points event is an utter failure. I'd like to see R&D participation rates al least as high as Scale and PMC.

That would be good. I would be even more interested in a good hybrid motor simulation model, one that modelled the effects of vehicle accelleration on oxidiser delivery pressure, complex fuel grain porting, and fuel phase change, mixing, and combustion.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Yes!, and don't forget the use of cameras.

A good place to start is with, "The Stability of Flexible Rockets at High Speed and Recommendations for Superroc Design", NARAM-30 R&D Report, Huntsville, AL, August 7-12, 1988, Dual Eggloft Team - T2, by Alan V. Jones.

Abstract:

High speed flight instability and its relationship to superroc design was investigated. Structural divergence was shown to be a satisfactory explanation of observed flights. A simple analytical model was developed, and equations were derived to provide additional stability requirements. THe equations clearly explain how a model can be stable at launch and unstable at high speed. Furthermore, the equations shoe the algebraic relationship between stiffness, airspeed, and static stability margin. The equations give a stiffness or maximum speed constraint for stable flight of flexible rockets. In additions, the fins can be directly sized from the equations for stable flight of flexible models.

Recommendations for the structural design of superroc models are also presented. These include the additional stability constraints and comments on structural design based on my experience with superroc models.

You should also be aware of, "Notes Toward a Theory of Superroc Failure", Proceedings of the 1979 M.I.T. Convention, by Geoffrey A. Landis. In this report, Landis suggests coupling of the first body bending mode with the ridged body oscillation as the failure mode. In "Superrocs - Avoiding the Bends", Model Rocketeer, June 1983. p.

12-14, Dave Landgraf suggested Euler column buckling as the failure mode.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Not really, but if you have a draft of an R&D report, I'd be willing to review it for you.

At least you are softening your statements. If you do a little resreach, you can find published papers on rocket dispersions. It is an old well understood topic, and there is not as much argument as might think.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Absolutely agree!

Absolutely agree!

Well said George!

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

If you could come up with this, you'd have a bunch of aerospace companies beating down your door. None of propulsion buddies have anything much good to say about extant combustion simulation packages. Still a lot of black art.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck

My brother who is 9 years older than me, is a huge KT fan and has all their albums. I heard that song many times and quite a few others, just as controversial as I was growing up. They have a few that will cause ROFWL.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Anyone for a chorus or two of the "Lincoln Park Pirates"???

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark B. Bundick mbundick - at - earthlink - dot - net NAR President www - dot - nar - dot - org

"The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - by the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic . . . We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK

Reply to
Mark B. Bundick

How does this quote apply to NAR's persistent insistence that NAR members get ATF permits for exempt materials?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Perhaps, but a full blown CFD with chemicaly reacting flows would certainly be too slow for our purposes. We need the black art, that is, modelling and simulation shorcuts that work well enough.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Being in Chicago I got to see him live and up close many times. If he were still alive the Cubs Marlins series would have killed him. But the two songs about the Cubs he wrote just before he died got a bunch of air play in September and October.

Bob Kaplow

I suspect that you will get your wish, at least for the next 3 years in B division.

Bob Kaplow

Was thinking of the next to last verse as Daley was tearing down Meigs field...

Bob Kaplow