ROL NEWS--Roadrunner Rocketry Introduces 29mm Single Use Motors

Not even close.
Anthony J. Cesaroni President/CEO Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace http://www.cesaronitech.com / (941) 360-3100 x101 Sarasota
(905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto

Where has JI Been!!!

Well, as you seem to have some insight, how about sharing?
Here's my concern -- I was going to purchase a number of Ellis Mountain E motors some time back, but witnessed a bunch of cato's that made me put my wallet away. So, lacking any track record, and lacking knowledge of the individuals involved, why would I 'risk' using this manufacturer? If it's folks that are known by the industry, great! If it's not, that seems 'strange', because I don't know how (or why <G>) someone not involved in rocketry would be getting into this business (and apparently have certified product but no dealers). If the manufacturer's are attempting to 'hide', I have cause for concern as well, because I have to ask what/why they're hiding.
So, I would respectfully ask that you share what knowledge you can, for the betterment of us lesser mortals...
David Erbas-White
Anthony Cesaroni wrote:

David,
Roadrunner Rocketry products are not re-labeled OEM motors from another manufacturer.
The first round of certification testing occurred about a month ago and NAR S&T provided the owner of Roadrunner Rocketry a statement of certification that allowed him to fly the motors at several launches in Texas. If you ask around the Texas flying community, I think you'll find some of the answers you are looking for.
I'm under a NDA with the manufacturer, so I can't give you anymore details.
Best Regards,
        John Lyngdal         NAR Trustee         NAR S&T Secretary
David Erbas-White wrote:

Keep in mind that Anthony may well have been asked by the individual(s) involved in the company to keep it confidential. Based on the behavior I've seen from Anthony, I very much believe he would take such a request, and his agreement with it, VERY seriously (as would be appropriate).
The fact that he hasn't stated anything more than he has is a strong indicator that he's been asked to keep what he knows private.
-Kevin
With all due respect, the proper response in that case would have been to say nothing. The two comments he made come very close to "I know something you don't know; neener, neener, neener..."
I add that I have great respect for Anthony, but the very fact that he posted ANYTHING about it led me to believe that he's not under an NDA -- as the only appropriate response (if under an NDA) is not to say ANYTHING (it's a non-disclosure agreement, not a some-disclosure agreement, is it not?).
I'm working with several folks under an NDA (I'm the owner of the information) at the moment. In my mind, that leaves it up to ME to decide how and when information is disseminated, unless I specifically authorize otherwise -- that's the POINT of having an NDA.
As far as the general announcement is concerned, as I stated, I find it unusual, to say the least. It's obviously somebody committed to the effort (witness the completion of certifications prior to any announcement), but it is very strange that the product is announced, with the statement apparently made that product is available, yet there are no dealers and no real contact information. It perks up my antenna, that's all. Perhaps there are good and valid reasons for it, and I'm perfectly willing to wait and see, but in the interim, it causes concern to at least some portion of the end-user community, which can't possibly be a good thing for the manufacturer.
David Erbas-White
Kevin Trojanowski wrote:

David, Boy, are you suspicious!
The owner is Bob Korman, my next door neighbor. He got interested in the motor making business a couple of years ago. He's worked extremely hard to bring these motors to market. The number of obstacles he's worked to overcome has been staggering, and after having watched the process, I can't believe he's finally made it. I have personally flown over 20 of these motors with great success. They have lit the first time every time when using the supplied 2 wire ignitor.
(Shameless self plug - my rocket and photo are on the pics page on his website.)
There's nothing super secret about it. Very few businesses post personal information on their website. He does have contact info on his website - if you email him he'll gladly tell you who he is. Look at his site and you'll see he's got plenty of info available - wRASP files, Rocksim data, tips and tricks, etc. In fact, he's been talking to Chuck G. of wRASP fame to make sure he gets things right. Chuck even recenly posted on the DARS list that partly in response to Bob's inquiries he's trying to get wRASP updated.
It's just good business sense to not tip your hand to the market (or competition) before you're ready. With all the roadblocks that came up, there was no way to know when he would actually be able to ship. No vaporware here, he waited until he had lots of motors to ship so he can meet what he hopes will be a substantial demand. It's hard to sign up dealers without a product to ship, or worse sign them and and then not fulfill demand. Look what happened when AT was unable to supply Hobby Lobby.
The motors are great. The integrated thrust ring makes prep time a snap - no tape thrust ring to build up. Retention is very easy - if you have any motor tube protuding beyond the centering ring, just run several wraps of tape around it and the thurst ring. Done in conjunction with a good friction fit and it's nearly impossible to kick a motor. The ignitor is a 'real' ignitor that has proven to be very reliable. The price is considerably below others available, and they offer more total thrust than comparable motors.
While the G motor is longer than comparable AT G's, I flew mine in several AT kits just fine. The second photo on his website is an AT Strongarm without the strakes. The motor overhangs the retention clip a bit, but stability was never an issue. Of coure, every flyer should check the CG/CP relationship of every rocket before flight, but I doubt they'll be any issues using them in AT kits. Bob even has a set of instructions on his site on how to modify an AT kit during build so it will work with longer motors. (on the 'more info' page)
I have every confidence that when flyers get a chance to use one of these motors, they'll be very pleased. As always, the market will determine the fate of the motor. Based on my personal experience, I have complete confidence that they will be in demand by folks who fly F & G motors. More power for less money, a built-in thrust ring, a two-wire ignitor, and high reliability. What's not to like?
If you read his website, he makes it very clear on how to become a dealer. It's not an involved process. Heck, if you want to sell his motors, contact him and become a dealer. It's not rocket science. Like all motors over 30 grams, they do require HAZMAT shipping, which Bob is very strict about. Anyone who's been on RMR for a while knows what happens when you ship motors illegally. None of us want our hobby attacked for creating a shipping hazard.
This is a very serious business venture that took lots of time, cash, and hard work. I've been able to watch the process and stick my nose in now and again and I've been amazed at the amount of hard work Bob has put into this endeavor. I wish him success.
Cordially,
Tony Huet
And this is exactly what I am happy to hear, and look forward to trying out some of his motors! Thanks for the info!
That's really all I was asking for, was some 'validation' that this isn't vaporware, and that it doesn't come from folks I may not care to do business with.
David Erbas-White
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Ditto on your response David. Now that that is settled, I'm looking forward to trying the product..
Fred
David Erbas-White wrote:

David Erbas-White wrote:

There's a difference between an NDA and a request to "please keep this under your hat for the time being". One has legal ramifications, the other is a request based on personal trust and integrity.
I don't take Anthony's response as an "I know something you don't," but rather as a "trust me, guys, this operation is safe to deal with; I know who's involved in it".
-Kevin
Thank you Kevin.
Anthony J. Cesaroni President/CEO Cesaroni Technology/Cesaroni Aerospace http://www.cesaronitech.com / (941) 360-3100 x101 Sarasota (905) 887-2370 x222 Toronto

In article liMag.22559$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com, Anthony Cesaroni at snipped-for-privacy@cesaroni.net wrote on 5/17/06 3:09 PM:

"No they are not" is the correct answer.
Gary
Guys,
I wanna buy some but where can I mail order. Am out in the boondocks. I emailed RR but I suspect he is busy filling orders and I can't hold that against him. Any mail order sites?
Kurt