Separate Magazine for Ignitors???

writes:

You don't want to open reload kits, particularly white lightning until ready to use the motor. The grains oxidize faster once opened.

Hi David.
Didn't a major motor manufacture tell us here about a year ago if the igniter was part of a motor package it was exempt from the separate magazine requirement. But if it was separate, they were telling us to put them in a separate box ?
Cranny Dane wrote:

My memory isn't that good.
But there is no law or regulation that requires igniters be stored separately under any circumstances. They are making it up as an additional condition on the attached garage variance.
--
David W. Schultz
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz /
David Schultz wrote:

This is crazy. You can buy a G reload with no certification of any sort necessary, store the igniter with the reload, and there is absolutely nothing wrong. Bump it up to a regulated motor with the same composition, and the SAME PHYSICAL IGNITER, and suddenly you need to store the igniter differently???
Is this the makings of lawsuit, part deux??? <G>
David Erbas-White
David Schultz wrote:

They treat igniters as detonators (I know, they don't initiation a detonation) and 555.210 says

I tried to push the definition of a detonator... in response I was asked "do you want this permit or not?".
If/when we win the ruling on APCP we still have to contend with electric matches and black powder.
writes:

They make this #@%! up as they go. They told me my ignitors were unregulated and didn't have to be in the magazine or on my inventory. But they cited me for not having records for easy access motors I bought a decade ago, nad for not having a current permit even though it took them 5 months to issue a renewal.
up as they go. They told me my ignitors were

I sure hope you cited them back for taking longer then the required 45 days for your renewal.
Cranny Dane wrote:

The Safe Explosives Act changed that to 90 days.
If they take longer than the statutory limit of 90 days, write to one of your congressman. Point out that the law ( 18 USC 843(c) ) _requires_ the ATF to act within 90 days. From personal experience I know that this stirs them up quite nicely. :-)
--
David W. Schultz
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz /
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars says...

How did the agent know you had the EA motors? Did you show them the easy access motors? Surely you didn't just reach under the table and hand agent man a J-350 and ask "how do I store these", or have them in the magazine?
--
Tweak

Tweak wrote:

Of course he did, be the confrontational/anti government zealot that he is..(:-)
Tom
I am going through the same process down the thruway from you. Got the "local jurisdiction" permission and now waiting for the ATF.
I am afraid the shortest path to a permit is "Yes sir, thank you sir, may I have some more advice please" with regards to the ATF agent. A small locked metal box to hold your igniters should do the trick. A small box can store a whole lot of matches and igniters.
Good luck and hope to see you at some launches this season.
j from MARS
Did the ATF inspector say you needed another type 4 mag for your igniters?

Tom,
I am not that far yet. I have the local permission and my ATF application is in. I have two "magazines" ready. One is a usexplosive type 4 for the motors and I have a homemade one made from a metal toolbox for igniters if necessary.
I would suggest going the surplus ammo box (installed with locks) for igniters and be done with it (pending inspector approval of course).
jd

"Detonators that will not mass detonate must be stored in a separate magazine and the total number of electric detonators must
not exceed 5,000."
So this appears not a discretionary rule but perhaps in the past discretionary enforcement.
The fastest path to a permit is "Yes sir, Thank you sir" with respect to ATF agents....
jd
Thomas Koszuta wrote:

I find that mine prefer Smithsonian and National Geographic. I've allowed them to read Extreme Rocketry, Sport Rocketry, HPR and Rockets, but they tell me they know all that stuff already, and they're bored by it....
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 18:36:15 GMT, "Thomas Koszuta" wrote:

Two magazines. One for motors/BP. One for ematches.
The ematch magazine is a pistol cabinet with a three-point locking mechanism and five-pin circular lock. Here is a similar cabinet, but I do not know if this one has a five pin lock.
http://www.kcsafe.com/Gun_Safe_Sentry_Cabinet.htm