Shuffle off to Buffalo ...

... for LDRS next year. Buffalo is a great place with lots of green grass and mild Summer temperatures. But it is just my luck - after my move to sunny and hot Texas TRA moves LDRS to Buffalo. I'll be there, and I bet there will be many happy flyers in the Northeast!

Reply to
tad danley

It's going to be fantastic! Upstate NY is a great place to fly rockets. Of course, I'm a little prejudiced because I was born there, but still...

Time to call up some of my Tri City Skybusters friends and others of the hybrid faithful, and start planning Hybrid Alley!

Doug Pratt

Doug Pratt

Reply to
Robert DeHate

US$4.00/lb is a *terrible* price for N2O.

Up here, our "connection" has been buying it for about CDN$2.50/lb, which works out to about US$1.85/lb. We might be able to start getting it even cheaper, since there's an N2O plant within driving distance from us, and we've been talking to the plant manager about showing up with a couple of K bottles, and drawing N2O from their "sample port". If that works out, we might be able to bring a couple of K bottles to LDRS next year. (Assuming, of course, that the border bastards will allow us to import this horrendous weapon of mass destruction into your country :-) ).

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Doug,

Mike Dutch and I are thinking about doing a cluster of 4 M's. I have never flown a hybrid at all. Can a system be put together for LDRS for this????? Just thinking ahead.

John T

Reply to
John Tinelli JR

To be quite honest, John (no Pun intended) and Mike, If your really serious, I would suggest that since either of you have no experiance in M Motor flights (Only one flight each) or Hybrid experiance at all that you make a few more flights before attempting this huge undertaking. Not trying to start any attacks here, just tring to be logical.

Ray Halm

Reply to
Ray Halm

That's what I said.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Just don't get arrested for hitting the NOX button while you're motoring down the Thruway. State patrolmen are not noted for their sense of humor.

Bring on the rockets, there'll be GSE for 'em.

Reply to
Doug Pratt

Especially cars with 'weapons' mounted on them? ;-) Not that you would know anything about that! (ancient history).

-john

Reply to
John DeMar

You're making me blush, Doug! Wrt the N2O, one shouldn't count the old poulet before gestation has completed, but it's certainly encouraging.

The "local N2O plant" is an interesting story. There used to be this *truly massive* DuPont chemical complex located near Brockville, ON. Then DuPont started selling off its various Canadian operations. So the plant in Brockville got split up, and various smaller companies bought up the various pieces. The Ammonium Nitrate plant was purchased by Nitrochem corporation, and guess where the N2O plant operated by Nitrous Oxide corporation is located? Hint: N2O is produced commercially by the thermal decomposition of NH4NO3...

I'm not certain that I like the idea of commingling the concept of being in San Francisco, and being better-looking than you, Doug :-)

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Anthony Cesaroni did a cluster of the 'J' motors a couple of years ago, using some pretty fancy ($$$) setup. Such a thing could certainly be scaled (for some $$$) for Hypertek 'M' motors.

I'm all in favour of getting orders for my product :-)

But I'll note that clustering of hybrids is a relatively-unexplored area (it's been done, but not often), so "proceed with caution" would be a reasonable approach.

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Unless you made them yourself for under $100 for 4.

Joel. phx

I would think with Ms, you would not want them to drop to far before stopping.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

HA! That was back in the Seventies when I got pulled over on the way to an ECRM launch because the trooper had seen all the rockets in my Buick.

That story has been topped. One of the MDRA members was heading to a launch in Maryland's Eastern Shore when he got pulled over by the Secret Service. Seems that was the weekend of the Wye River summit and Yasser Arafat was in town. And this guy drives a Toyota station wagon, and carries his rockets on the roof rack...

Reply to
Doug Pratt

I figured that NY Staties had no sense of humor when I noticed that noone exceeded the speed limit after I left Ontario. ;-)

Mark Simpson

When in NYS we always follow the guys with Ontario plates, they run in packs, they run very fast and they don't mind us tagging along. :-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Anthony's setup used (AFAIR) solenoids to release the fill stems from the motors, once combustion had been confirmed in all motors. The "melting through the tie-wrap" method isn't something I'd want to rely on, since release times can vary considerably.

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Doug, Are you sure it wasn't me telling you that? ;-) If time is permitting I may be bringing it to LDRS. That was the plan, from last year. L3 in 2003. 2 stage in 2004. We shall see, only got a year.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Those are the guys that I tag along with crossing Ontario. We do 85-90 in the left lane almost all the way from Sarnia to Niagara Falls. I make sure that I have a rabbit in front and one behind. It works, I've never gotten a speeding ticket on any highway in 30 years of driving.

Mark Simpson

Oncce, on my way from Toronto back to Detroit, I got on the 401a(read:

401...eh!) with 2 other cars from Michigan. I made the trip (all the way to Dearborn!) in under three hours. 95 or better the whole way home. We all got off at the same sevice plaza, got gas, and got back on the 401 together. We all also slowed down near Chatham (hint, hint...allways an OPP there eh!!!) Didn't have a clue who they were...but we all waved good bye at the split to the tunnel ( I opted for the bridge).

Mark A Palmer TRA 08542 L3

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

Oops. Sorry. I have too many friends who are smarter than I am. Not only is it humbling, it's confusing.

Reply to
Doug Pratt