Sigh ... ok Jerome, what OTHER non-government agency flew to 40 miles?

Ya know, frankly, Irvine's postings aren't even funny anymore ... ok, Jerome, what OTHER non-government agency funded program flew a man/woman to a height of 40 miles?

From: Jerry Irv> Allen, founder and chairman of Vulcan Inc,

Sounds familiar in ROCKETRY! Today's announcement came after SpaceShipOne completed a May 13th, 2004 test

flight in which pilot Mike Melvill reached a height of 211,400 feet > (approximately 40 miles), the highest altitude ever reached by a > non-government > aerospace program.

That is probably NOT true.

Reply to
Word of Reason

Here:

Am I wrong? I thought the Japanese in the 70¹s were the first amateurs to put a rocket into space. I believe they were academics and students of the University of Tokyo and they launched the Ohsumi. The University of Tokyo was the only university in the world to build an launch their own rockets into space. Perhaps academics and students don¹t qualify as amateur, but this is fine line. For a group to qualify as amateur they shouldn¹t have any academic or aerospace associations. I know of no such group.