Topic for Myth Busters

Anti-tank chickens! There ought to be a law!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Holy pulverizing poultry, Batman!

And just what do the chickens have to say about it?

:-)

John

Reply to
John Stein

Ouch? Huh? Pock?

Take your choice.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Hey, let's make it easier for them, so they can use their experience. All they have to do is to hit a parked rental van with a J350 powered rocket from one mile away.

But the only get ONE shot.

Bob Kaplow

Which wouldnt' stop the EPA from making it illegal, then fining those unfortunate victims...

Bob Kaplow

Cluck, cluck, cluck, CCLLLUUUUUUCKKKKKKK Splat!

Bob Kaplow

Talk about a regulatory agency out of control - the EPA, though a relatively young agency, is already as much a sacred cow as anything this side of the Social Security program... imagine the flak that a politician would imagine being the target of (I know that's convoluted but it appears to be the way the politician mind works) if he proposed reducing the authority of the EPA in any way.

Anyone with the political reflexes to even get elected to national office probably just knows better than to even think about such a thing.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

We should go back to EPA James Watt's attitude.

Go ahead and destroy the earth - it's not going to be around that much longer anyway.

If people want to breathe clean air, they should move.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

On 29 Jan 2004 20:45:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) wrote:

Reply to
zoot

But they do not have the political will or budget to clean up actual problem sites so they do this perchlorate crap with no injuries known or known to be possible.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I agree that we need SOME regulation, but (at least in PRK) it's completely topsy-turvy, and often has the opposite effect of what is desired.

I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating--my wife was in the hazardous waste cleanup business, and they were trying to clean up a toxic groundwater site. They were going to pump out the water, clean it, dump it out, and continue the cycle. They estimated that in 3-5 years the groundwater would be clean and free of all contamination, meeting even the very high California standards. However, it was illegal to dump the water during that first filtration process, because EVEN THOUGH the water met drinking water standards, the pollution standards are so strict that they were forbidden from dumping it, EVEN AS PART OF A CLEANUP PROCESS! Now, this makes a lot of sense--the water is clean enough to drink, but not clean enough to dump...

Bottom line, that site was never cleaned, even though funds were available, etc., because of STUPID bureaucratic systems and laws. Who gained from that?

She got so sick of the hypocrisy of the 'hazardous waste' business that she eventually got out of it.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

"Kill them off"? Allow them to finally go the way of the wooly mammoth is more like it. But in any case, if some other state wants them, they are free to import some and waste their own time, money and resources trying to keep an outdated species alive.

Reply to
RayDunakin

So when is BATFE going to outlaw chicken guns? I can see it now, they go before congress with a scenario of a terrorist organization setting up a battery of guns and shooting chickens into downtown NY. They will even hanve estimates on how many shots it'll take to bring down the Empire State Building. Next will be the fish guns mounted on boats in the harbor.

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

Huh?... An "outdated species"?! Wow....what can one say to that kind of a statement? : /

Stones

Reply to
stones

It was said by a member of an "outdated species."

It's been an interesting run. I'd have hoped we'd have lasted longer than the Neandertals.

Y'know the simplest explanation for the Drake paradox (where are all the aliens?) is that evolution produces beings that are just smart enough to kill themselves off before they accomplish anything significant in space.

That's actually close to my own pet theory - evolution invariably produces politicians.

Same result: No spacefaring civilizations.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Call it a "Dunakin-ism"?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

We could do it "for them" as a pubic service :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Well, you're close...

You're referring to the 'Fermi Paradox' and/or the 'Drake Equation'. The Fermi paradox asks where the aliens are, the Drake equation tries to calculate how many intelligent civilizations are in the galaxy. He counts ours as one, so draw your own conclusions as to the veracity of his equation...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

A paper I was reading recently referred to it as the Drake paradox. I didn't catch that! Thanks. Now, I have to dig up the paper and write the author. That's going to be a joy to find....

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Bok bok SPLAT!