Topic for Myth Busters

"I don't know with what weapons World War III will be fought. I do know that World War IV will be fought with sticks and rocks."

--A.E.

Reply to
NaCl

Eventually we will also be able to generate new species at will. Mapping genomes is a first step that was unimaginable 50 years ago. The Earth has never seen an apex predator like us before, so I don't think its a foregone conclusion. Particularly if we colonize (infect?) some more places in the solar system (or beyond - Physics isn't done yet). People could become the crabgrass of the galaxy.

Brad Hitch

Reply to
Brad Hitch

False. They require a large superset to compliance.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So now you say, TRA/NRA don't require compliance with existing ATF/DOT requirements?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Been saying (and proving) it for a while now.

Read the NAR/ATF points and authorities. They are eye opening.

Even for trolls like you.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

So now you say, TRA/NRA don't require compliance with existing ATF/DOT requirements?

How have you proved it?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

They demand complience with nonexisting ones - like expecting PAD manufacturers to be licensed as as "Sellers of Explosives".

Does it take a Florida fire marshal to see that your emperor has no clothes?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

The DOT has no "PAD" exemption, therefore you need VALID EX#s to transport for comercial use. The DOT is the AHJ over DOT matters.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

That would apply if we were talking about materials that actually qualified as "class 1 explosives" for shipping purposes. It appears that, by actual test, the stuff isn't really in that hazmat category.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

By that logic, a bottle of helium shouldn't concern the DOT at all. After all, helium's not even flammable.

Yet the bottles have to be DOT classified.

DOT sets the classification, not the testing lab. The testing lab just provides input.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

The problem is, it seems to be a race between stupidity and technology, and the boundaries aren't really that clear.

Old story: I forget whether the guy's name was Bird or Byrd, but he did the first genetic engineering back in the '70s. He managed, using (by today's standards) very crude techniques, to insert a gene into E. coli. Someone called him up and asked him for advice on inserting the Simian Virus 40 genes thought to be the cause of cancer into E. coli. When asked why, the response was "To see if it could be done."

This is why I'd like to see self-sufficient colonies on the Moon and Mars. I doubt we'll be able to get all the moronic experiments moved off-world, so instead, I'd suggest we confine such experiments to Earth. At least humanity would survive.

I'm not sure, but I think galactic crabgrass has to be smarter than we are.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

We've already had W.W. III. It was the cold war. We're now in the midst of W.W. IV. The style of warfare has changed, just as it did from pre-W.W. I to W.W. I and from W.W. I to W.W. II.

You'd think people would notice, but apparently not.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

as their own lawsuit attests

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Wrong, and you know it. They only require compliance with existing ATF/DOT requirements, as I stated. Whether or not the ATF/DOT requirements are valid is irrelevant to what those agencies currently require.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Yes, and Stupidity is boundless.

I had a roommate in grad school who was in biochem. He always kept his E. Coli cultures in the freezer because if he didn't their genetic purity would degrade due to random mutations and the exchange of DNA. I always thought this was a pretty good example of evolution in action. Someday somebody somewhere will make a real killer. The Russians certainly have tried pretty hard to do this.

In the long run I think Darwin will insure the selection of crabgrass for intelligence. Hopefully some wisdom as well. Diversification then selection is the way it works. We are now diversifying.

Brad Hitch

Reply to
Brad Hitch

#!^@ flying rats:

Bob Kaplow

Bush will be on Mars, and the sharks and cockroaches will rule the earth.

Bob Kaplow

Isn't Bush on Mars already?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Bob Kaplow

If we kill 90% of humans living today and the rest all go live naked in the woods, we can seriously reduce our impact on other species. But I don't think most people are willing to go that far.

And here comes that hair thing...

Reply to
Kurt Kesler