Trailing Edge igniters

Does anyone know if someone "officially" acquired Jim Turner's igniter-making techniques or business after he passed on?

I don't want to offend anyone who might think they have a trade secret to protect by talking about the "fire-in-the-hole" igniter I dissected.

[there was a thread back in April in which people asked how they were made]
Reply to
bit eimer

Chad L. Ellis

Details:

Fuck you.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Wasn't meant to be negative. I remember you posting sometime a long time ago how you guys formulated that stuff. Didn't know there was some exposed nerve tissue there. . . .

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

Poor jerry.

Everybody's got your number.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

This is an example of a "charge" not an "exposed nerve".

"Jerry will chime in and tell you how the formula was his to start with"

-Chad Ellis

You made it, now simply retract it.

Heck you could even share what YOU learned about the Turner/Irvine thing after you and I discussed it some many months ago.

Do something positive and truthful with rmr for a change.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Chad, don't sweat it. You did nothing wrong, and got a juvenile response in return.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Thanks for the info Chad. I know nothing the pyrogen composition - just wanted to talk about the physical construction, which I found to be interesting. I'll start of new flame-free thread on that.

Reply to
bit eimer

bit:

the way I look at this is this: unless JT had a design patent or transferred his business rights to some other person/entity, then by all means do whatever you want.

One thing I have learned doing rocketry history, is that alot of what we think is new, is actually old....in this hobby since we don't seem to have any historical context, we keep re-inventing the wheel....

Now where is that laser ignition system i have been playing with....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Point.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Typical. An uninvolved person supporting a tactic he already backed off from in email!

Troll. (descriptive term)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
To hot to bother

I still have a few of the TE ignitors left. When I originally ordered them I had grilled Jim on the construction. Jim used a tungsten bridge wire and that they were a real pain to solder up and took time to do, in particular the ones designated for 24/29mm clusters. Never got into the pyrogen part though. My guess it's BP/nitrocelouse formula as my home brew batch looked identical.

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Thanks for those links, though I'd already seen them. Construction shown is similar, but with a twist. I will post later today my findings.

Reply to
bit eimer

Don't worry, if it's not in Jerry's museum, it don't count..(:-)

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

You are STILL fixated on me!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jerry, you're like watching a horrible, slow motion train wreck. A Person just can't keep from looking.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

Your so easy "big fine"..(:-)

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

Have you ever seen this museum he now claims to have?? I wonder if it's open to the public?? (;-)

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace