WW-II rocket motor on E-bay - opinions ?

St> BeepBeep wrote: >> Anybody think this can actually be lit off ? >> >> that is - without >> >> (a). any tech manual documentation (b). any kind of hazmat >> permits (presuming it uses some toxic chemicals for fuel). >> (c). blowing oneself up

St> How to put this...if I had the tech manual, the fuel and St> oxidizer, the permits and immortality, I still wouldn't St> attempt to fire it up. Too many ways to have more fun than St> that with propellant systems these days.

I keep remembering reading about the Mitsubishi Shusui rocket fighter development (maybe the Gakken series book), and how the engine was really really shaky, with poor materials, lack of experience of the engineers, and so forth. Not to mention the inherent dangers of rockets and explosive fuels. When testing the motor, all the staff would get into a slit trench and simply stay there until the engine burned its fuel out, not daring to stick their heads up (from previous experience). One new chap decided it was a good idea to have a look see, and put up his head. One of the other lads shouted to him to get down, but it was too late. The engine exploded and the blast simply tore his head off his shoulders.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Woww.....$99,000...quite a haul for quite a piece of history!

Reply to
bob352