1/48th scale RF-4B decals

Anyone know a source of 1/48th scale decals for the Hasagawa RF-4B?

Stan Parker

Reply to
Stanley Parker

Well, Since the kit is a fat wing bird, if you want to do an accurate bird, decals are not much of an issue. Only the last 11 or so of the RF-4Bs had the fat wing and they apparently only saw service with VMFP-3.

Thus, the kit decals should do just fine.

A bit of a shame Hasegawa didn't do it right and do the "real" thin wing RF-3B.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

Superscale did two or three sheets that have some markings for an RF-4B but as Norm mentioned, these are for the thin-wing versions. IIRC,

48-108 and 48-110 were those sheet numbers. Anal that I might know them, yes, but I scoured Regionals and swap meets for them. One of them has the green tail markings already supplied with the Hasegawa kit. Also, CAM Decals has a nice sheet out for one late-lot (read thick-wing) bird, aircraft number 7346, I believe.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

Norm:

You will probably get the thin wing version in the next issue of the kit.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Is there any indication that Hasegawa is planning to do a new tool thin wing (which could imply a new tool F-4B/N)? I haven't heard anything and don't believe that the existing old raised panel line wing will fit the new fuselage.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Exactly my thoughts, Dave. We now know the Hasegawa release schedule from now through March, 2005 and there is nothing like that on the list.

I for one do not expect them to do anything more at this point than to continue to release a series of Air Force and foreign RF versions that do not require a thin wing version. Since the Marines are the ONLY thin wing operators, I suspect that is a good economic decision, but a shame for US 1/48th scale builders.

I also suspect a lot of builders in that scale would love to see Hasegawa retool the F-4B and go to recessed panel lines for a twofer. A new F-4B with recessed panel lines, and use the new wing on the (now) old RF-4B.

I know it ain't gonna happen. But it still is a good idea.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer