1950's Revell Antique Cars

Can someone help with info on the Revell model antique car kits of the mid-50's. I recall buying these kits for like 59¢ back then, putting the models together, and displying them on a wall shelf. As I recall, they were pretty detailed for the price and I seem to recall that the kits were issued in several sets. I think one set included the modern sports cars (MG-TD, Jag XK, etc.). The others featured the older US cars.

I have scanned eBay but haven't run across any of these original sets for auction. Can I asume some must be still around in the collector market?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Remick

They 're fairly easily available having been issued by Minicraft about ten to fifteen years ago. I remember seeing them in four-model sets (including one that had the MG-TD, Jag 120 [NOT XK] and a '32 Deuce High-Boy Roadster) for maybe $5.00 each. There were maybe 16 different models. Good luck in finding them!

Reply to
The Old Man

Just took a look on ePay and found one set, contains the Hot Rod, MG, Jag and a 1952 Ferrari roadster.

Reply to
The Old Man

Just took a look on ePay and found one set, contains the Hot Rod, MG, Jag and a 1952 Ferrari roadster. __________ Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for them and maybe find one or two to assemble again for nostalgia sake. I favor the antique cars rather than those "modern" MG-TD's and '32 coupes. Are the Minicrafts kits you were describing actually reissues of the original 1950's kits?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Remick

snipped-for-privacy@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Yes, I did a 1898 International Harvester pickup (for want of a better term) and the Studebaker (?) electric, and have a Hudson and a Stanley Steamer yet to do - someday. This models are identical to ones that I built as a kid. Strictly shelf display and only reasonable detailed (unlike more modern kits) but pleasant builds nonetheless.

Reply to
The Old Man

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Also, the newer issues are made of styrene. Many of the old 'Highway Pioneers' were made of acetate. I have a very warped Stanley myself.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Bill here's a question for you. Warped resin can be straightened by plunging the piece into hot water and after it straightens out, firmed up by a trip to the frige. Do you think that might work with acetate?

Reply to
The Old Man

The Old Man banged out:

I've heard that it works but it won't stay. The warps will return. I assume that there are stresses in the plastic that will reassert themselves.

I used to have a '61 Dodge promo from JoHan that humped up in the middle. I almost tried the hot water treatment but fortunately X-El brought out the re-issue. Funny thing, the styrene model was about 3/4 inches longer than the original. That's how much the old one shrank.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Wow! Memories.

My dad got me started with those models. He built all of them, most surviving until about ten years ago when I sold them to another modeler who was using the warped ones in a junkyard scene. Most were originally Gowland & Gowland kits, hollow, but quite nice. I remember the laquer paint and some kind of glue, don't remember what it was. Styrene cement came later. He also built the Disney space series, which I certainly wish I had today! Also a wooden ancient train that I still have.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72