707 Diaroma

I'm sure you are all familiar with the photo of the 707 Dash 80 Prototype doing the slow roll over the Seattle boat races. I have never seen a picture from the ground of this roll . The only picture I have seen is the one from the inside of the aircraft. Surely there would have been people on the ground taking pictures. This was a big event. Does any one know of any of these posible other photos? Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve Jahn

IIRC, there's video footage taken from the ground (water, actually, I think aboard a boat) that I've seen on The History Channel or more likely, on Discovery Wings channel.

Reply to
famvburg

By now many a years ago, TNN or TNT or TBS, sorry folks, memory is not up to what it used to be, ran a three or four two hour programs on Wings Of The World and they showed both from the ground and in flight (still pic, mind you) of the barrel roll of the Dash 80. On either Discover channel or Discover Wings they've shown footage from the ground.

As Tex Johnson, the test pilot for Boeing said, "If you keep one G, the plane doesn't know the difference". Or words to that effect.

Reply to
Kitt

Yes, The History Channel has been running a spot in their series of commercial length segments featuring interviews with witnesses to moments in history. The eyewitness to the barrel roll in this case was the then 11 yr old son of the test pilot.

I have seen the other ones with the lady that was at Pearl Harbor and the PT Boat sailor that saw the Spruce Goose test run. Are there any others?

WmB

WmB

Kitt, that was on A&E, and I taped them all. I'm going to have to dig them out of the vault and review them just for that.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

untill 1967 1 used to live on the south coast of sussex in england .We used to get VC-10's , BAC-111's and many military types testing back and forth . one day we had a BAC-111 do a slow barrel roll . O those good old days of beverlys , hunters ,chipmunks ,dominies ,herons , doves , etc , etc Ken

Reply to
allenx3

Hi Bill. you're pushing the envelope here. Heh.

No, I'm sure it was not on A&E, since you're jogging my memory I'm almost sure it was TBS and I taped them all also. Great series.

Now here's a poser, at about the same period there was another series, Reaching For The Sky with great vintage footage. Maybe one was on TBS. Dang !!

Reply to
Kitt

I beg to differ, but those short clips at the end of the programs are on Discovery Wings and they are great, only, I wish they got more besides the two you mention and the Hawaiian/Japanese gentleman.

Reply to
Kitt

Now here is another poser.

Years ago while channel surfing I came across a comment from a pilot stating that during flight tests the Concorde was barrel rolled ?!

untill 1967 1 used to live on the south coast of sussex in england .We used to get VC-10's , BAC-111's and many military types testing back and forth . one day we had a BAC-111 do a slow barrel roll . O those good old days of beverlys , hunters ,chipmunks ,dominies ,herons , doves , etc , etc Ken

Reply to
Kitt

I stand corrected.

WmB

WmB

Heard that one too; but not sure it was during flight test, and not sure it was a "barrel" roll as such. It may have been one of the early airline pilots being trained on the type. The instructor rolled it one way, then told the trainee to "unwind" it.

Jon.

Reply to
Jonathan Stilwell

I was relying on the memory and I haven't been downstairs in the vault to check, so I could be wrong.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Bill, what's that they say / (And who is "they" ? Heh) .

The first thing to go is the memory, the second ?.....Damn !...I forgot.

Be well.

Kitt

I was relying on the memory and I haven't been downstairs in the vault to check, so I could be wrong.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Kitt

Apparently the memory isn't gone...completely, yet. The results of my search are:

Reaching For The Skies - TNT - Robert Vaughn, narrarator Wings Over The World - A&E - Richard Todd, narrarator

Both series were aired in 1989, WOW apparently shown around Christmas judging from the commercials. TNT may not have known drama back then but their schedule was far more interesting. They seem to have sunk into a quagmire of re-running network TV. Tom Selleck doesn't make enough L'amour movies to add any regular sparkle to the schedule.

Actually the first thing that went for me was the teeth. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

he first thing that went for me was the teeth.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

HA HA HA HA HA.

Touche on that one,

Be well.