A new low: 11 messages

Killfiles are great, I pity those poor soulless ones who have to read Usenet on non-compliant readers for one reason or other. If you have such a reader, drop me an email so I can at least suggest you a replacement that will make Usenet more enjoyable. The fact is, for mainly-text information, Usenet is still king for speed and simplicity.

Cheers, Gernot

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Will a good reader add more quality posts to the group? No?

People left and didn't come back. Hell, I left for a while myself. When the group was flooded with OT crap, no amount of killfiles would have increased the signal.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

I think you mistakenly attribute low posts solely to those who left. I never left but simply did not post because it was a hassle to wade through tons of OT crap at a time when my newsreader did not allow me the luxury of a working killfile, or I was even denied the luxury of direct Usenet access and had to read via Google Groups .

As far as increasing the signal, no, but I would most certainly have posted more had I been able to find decent threads within seconds.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote

Not a chance - it's my nightmare, I paid for it and by crikey I'm gonna suffer for it!

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

bah,

Reply to
someone

I never assumed that, nor have I even implied that.

I know for a fact that at least three people left and never came back, due completely to the low signal:noise. Now I know of two people who left, and then came back.

I don't post much any more, because I don't view r.m.s. as a resource any more. Mostly I come back to see how folks are doing. I share my talents in other fora now.

The folks that I talked with who left felt that the "regulars" of the ng, the ones who had lots of info to share, were tied up in the OT threads, which made the ng worthless at the time.

Frankly, I agreed with their POV, and agree today. No newsreader or killfile can add content. After a while, if you see no activity in a certain ng, you simply stop going. Killfile or not.

I have never needed a killfile to make a group easier to read or post to. All it takes is self-discipline.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

I think that RMS has just gotten to be the same old stuff over and over. Except for the guys wearing tinfoil on their heads that make period cameos here. The thread about Jewish last names is particularly creepy.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Fair enough. No criticism from my side.

How is this? I don't read threads I am not interested in, but if you don't use a kill file, that is like not having a spam filter---you simply cannot find what you need. Nothing to do with self-discipline I think.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug