Academy 1/48 Spitfire

Opinions needed on this model kit

(amazon link)

Not after best of the best, just dont want worst of the worst :)

Thanks

Dean

Reply to
www

IMHO it's not a bad kit. Apparently the major issue(s) are some outline problems with the nose & spinner, but (again IMHO) it looks like a Spit

14 when you're done with it.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

The one I heard was "Spitfire on Steroids"! :-)

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

LOL That's definitely a Mk 24...

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Beautiful kit - I've built 2, and only used filler where I stuffed up.

but...

the nose, spinner and leading edge of the wing are approx 1.5 mm too tall in profile, and the nose and spinner are a bit too wide in plan view. It looks ok until you put it next to a model with correct proportions in the nose area (the Airfix Mk 22/24 kits for example) or until you look at a profile picture. And it ain't easy to fix, either. I've just accquired another one (cheap, care of a club swap-meet) so I'm going to start cutting plastic soon and see if I can make it look as good as it should. You can get a fuselage to fix it if you want to (Aeroclub, IIRC) but why spend money on a limited-run injection fuse when the kit one is much better detailed, albeit the wrong shape - your choice!

If you're not a Spitfire affecionado, it's a very nice kit. If you are, you'll hate it when you finish it. I had no problems with mine, and they're among the best a/c I've ever finished.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Somewhere, I've got KMC's correction set, but the first one I got, the nose casting had a huge "popped bubble" on the starboard rocker cover fairing. It was right at the front of the fairing making repair a major PITA fix. Sooooo, I let them know and they send me a new nose, well, THIS one had a big divot missing at the leading edge of the nose. I haven't decided yet whether it's worth the trouble to do all the cutting about on my next Spit 14 or not.