airbrush help

thanks to some great kindness, i have a passche vsr airbrush. i seem to be having some trouble using it correctly. it seems to clog easily and is difficult to unclog. is there a way to filter paint? i have been cutting about 50/50, i use enamels only so far. should the paint be thinner? it dries very fast. is there an easy way to unclog? how do i adjust the flow? the double action works well, i just feel i am making some bonehead mistake. tanks, folks.

it seems to clog easily and is difficult to unclog. is there a way to filter paint?

You can filter the paint through old nylon stockings.

i have been cutting about 50/50, i use enamels only so far. should the paint be thinner?

What are you using to thin the paint? Try using laquer thinner. I have been using it for the last several years and find it works great. I think your paint is drying fast because of your mixing ratio; you may want shift the raito to more paint.

easy way to unclog?

I'd give the brush a good cleaning...break it down and get into the nooks and crannies. Between that, the filter, it should be all right.

Good luck

Reply to
Dark Skin Dom

ok. can they be new?

i do use laquer thinner exclusively. i have to take it apart to unclog. i clean very carefully. i'll try the ratio and stocking. thanks.

If you can get the girl to sit still through that... ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

once i lick my eyebrows.....

There's no need to filter paint if you use the usual stuff (ie. Humbrol, Testor, Tamiya, Gunze, etc)

Should not. Looks like inadequate thinner, insufficient air flow or dirty nozzle.

The Paasches and Badgers share a common design "flaw": they have very narrow tips (ie. little space between the nozzle and the needle). If some paint dries here, it can act as a catalyzer and speed up the clogging, although this happens rather with paints that dry _and_ cure, like acrylics do, rather than with pure solvent-based paints like the enamels.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

I had a VL and thinning Pactra and Testors paint worked best using ODORLESS Thinner from the hardware sore. This is an ODORLESS version of Mineral Spirits.

I have since switched to a Badger 150 and a Badger 200. The best brush I ever had was a Thayer and Chandler (I think a C) in 1969.

Compared to Badgers, Pasches and Thayer and Chanlers, the Testors brushes are (in my humble opinion) terrible and hard to control.

In any case, an airbrush is like a target pistol. It works best when

100% sqweeky clean. I use Acetone, an eye dropper and pipe cleaners to make sure it is clean.

Acetone eats everything, including dried acrylics.

Jim Klein

snipped-for-privacy@veriz>thanks to some great kindness, i have a passche vsr

Reply to
West Coast Engineering

And the Testors Airbrush Thinner is more highly refined still. For cleaning, I use what you mention, but for actual thinning for spraying, I use the Testors.

It's not the tool, but how you use it. They work, but take effort. Learn to use one of these well, and everything else is childs play. (well... all of them are to me anyway :)

BINGO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most important thing one can do period !

I just stick with lacquer thinner. I need anything stronger I use carburator or brake cleaner.... (none of this is good for us anyway right ?)

Azzz1588