Airfix + Revell Germany?

At last night's IPMS meeting, one of the more "connected" members announced that Revell-Germany was splitting off from Revell-Monogram and absorbing Airfix. I haven't found any confirmation and was wondering if anyone else out there knows anything about all this.

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

Yes. He have might been well connected to Google News, where a search for Humbrol turns up various recent news items. This article mentions both of those points:

German firm set to rescue Spitfire-maker Airfix models Revell MBO eyes Humbrol assets

Ian Briggs A GERMAN firm is set to fly in to save model-maker Airfix, famous for its plastic kit replicas of Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancaster bombers.

Hobby firm Revell yesterday revealed its interest in making a move for Airfix, whose future was put into doubt last month after its Hull-based parent company Humbrol went into administration. Revell would also not rule out moves for other Humbrol assets. Accountancy firm Grant Thornton, in Leeds, which was appointed administrators, made 31 of Humbrol's 41 staff redundant.

The move was blamed on "severe cash flow pressures" and disruption to supplies due to the insolvency of Heller, its main manufacturing supplier in France, in spite of a new management team being brought in last December to restructure the business.

Administrators said they hoped to sell the company's 'iconic' brands and intellectual property rights.

The news that the future of Airfix was in doubt was greeted by an outpouring of nostalgia for the plastic kits of well-known aircraft which enjoyed their heyday in the 1960s and 1970s. Fans were concerned it could signal the end of the brand. Humbrol, which also owns Plasticine and Young Scientist, has suffered trading losses for several years.

German-firm Revell, which makes Kick-O-Mania footballers, yesterday announc-ed a restructuring. Its European businesses have been bought out by the management team and split from its north American businesses which it said puts it in a better position to make potential acquisitions, such as Humbrol assets.

Revell country manager, Tom Randrup said: "The announcement of our independence strengthens further Revell's position in the European market.

"As Europe-wide leader and number one supplier of plastic kits and accessories to the UK toy and hobby market, we can confirm we have registered an interest in certain assets of Humbrol."

Earlier this month train set giant Hornby said it was considering putting an offer in to rescue Airfix.

Airfix has its origins in a company founded in London in 1939 by Hungarian-born Nicholas Kove, which manufactured cheap rubber toys filled with air.

Its first model kit was the Ferguson Tractor in 1948. The Spitfire was introduced in 1953.

Due to its massive popularity, Airfix became one of the first toy companies to have its own magazine in 1960 and it gradually expanded through acquiring a number of other companies, including Meccano. Its range grew to include vintage and modern cars, motorcycles, trains, ocean liners and spaceships.

Children spent hours making the models which were famously difficult to assemble.

A dip in popularity saw Airfix go into receivership in 1981. It was bought by Palitoy, part of the American General Mills toy group, and production moved to France.

In 1986 it was taken over by Humbrol, but has suffered from falling sales as children became hooked on computer games and TV. A recent survey commissioned for First magazine found youngsters spend an average of 25 hours a week in front of either TV or games console screens ? rising to 42 hours a week during the school holidays.

Reply to
Nick

I haven't heard that, but in the latest SAMI the editor did mention that Corgi & Hornby are being mentioned as possible buyers for Airfix. Only time will tell, kick back in the recliner and watch what happens...maybe someone will buy R/M & Airfix and create a new company. Hawkeye

Reply to
Hawkeye

"Spitfire-maker Airfix"?

And all this time I thought it was Vickers-Supermarine...

This is typical sloppy reportage. The media seem to think that Airfix only make Spitfire, Hurricanes and Lancasters. Likewise, they seem to think that Hornby make "train sets". Have you *seen* the stuff that Hornby is producing these days?

Why does the media always have to deal with stereotypes?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I had to explain to an American friend recently exactly what a "Spitfire" was! In fairness, I doubt whether he would know what a Mustang or Thunderbolt were either.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I'd believe it. The widow next door wasn't sure when WWII was over. At least she heard of it. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

So, what's Hornby up to mowadays? Somewhere I have a 1970s catalogue full of model trains.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

That was supposed to be 'nowadays'. Darn clumsy fingers.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Mad-Modeller smirked:

Hornby is producing some of the most wonderful British outline models that you would ever hope to see. Their new Gresley A3s, A4s and BR Standard Britannias are a joy to behold.

Bachmann is also producing wonderful stuff. They have recently released an Ivatt 4MT and a BR Standard 9F that are quite simply brilliant. It's really a good time to be a British railway modeller!

?SID=10694
?SID=11532

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Hornby is an independent company. It's current range is manufactured in China but not by Bachmann

That used to be true but the latest Hornby models are on a par with anything made in europe. Hornby is also financially solvent which cannot be said for any of its european counterparts.

Actually uk.rec.models.rail

Hornby and Bachmann (UK) models are made to a different scale than anything discussed in rec.models.railroad

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Huh?? WWII is OVER?? Bugger, I'll have to get the kids out of the dugout on the Brisbane line.

Reply to
Bob

Still in the model railway business. Outsourced production to China, upped quality a lot, their new Class 50 is Superb (aghhhh), and the 08 is great, expanding to do N gauge buildings

Still own Scaletrix

It is the end result of a quality battle waged between Bachman and Hornby, Lima was a deserved loser, as they upped their prices without raising quality, we now insist on both bogies driven.

Reply to
Martin

But neither of them made that many models. Trix did a few but inder scale, Fleismann one loco in HO rather than OO

Reply to
Martin

Is it?

Work out the following.

I need a green 9F, a couple more 50s, another 37, another 20, a 4MT (BR version), a few Mark2s, also I need to hack the Parkside HTO into the rebodied HTV, my Triang 37 doesn't work at all well, so needs replacement (did you know that the Airfix 31 and the Triang 31 were both Bath Road machines, and I changed the number of the Triang one (as well as ride height, flush glazed, wire handrails) but it is still that same ID, oh and a Castle or 2 some more choc & cream mark 1s (got a modified Hall already), an A4 with valences, some BR Pullmans. And as many Lima 117 vehicles as possible to convert as I need a 118, 2 x 116, a not B430/117 305 117, also DC kits 120 and 119.

This is the perils of modelling the early to mid 80s - I stretch down to Deltics and up to late 80s so I can run more.

Each train is OK but I mix periods a little, but in 1985 there were a lot of interesting things around. but can I run a choc & cream DMU alongside a refurbished Class 50 in normal blue (not large logo).

My steam stuff and pre nat vehicles are instantly "Preserved" but of my usable steam models. (including a motorising Airfix City and a half built (for 20 years) Airfix 4MT - excluding "Polly") half have been main line ticketed, of the rest just over half are of preserved line locos, and the rest are not preserved members of preserved classes so will probably get renumbered but I am too scared to touch Bachmanns finish.

Now where will I get the few thousand from?

Reply to
Martin

LOL I know what you mean.

And I see in this month's "Model Rail" that Bachmann's new BR Std 2MT is nearly ready for release. And how long will it be before they rework their Ivatt 4MT into a BR Std 4MT?

It's a conspiracy to bankrupt me, I tell ya! :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

but you end up with more than if you blew it on hookers and beer.

OK... I can understand spending money on beer. Fair enough...

But why on *earth* would anyone spend money on rugby players???

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

i could perhaps see it if you were a gambler.

I thought the Fairburn was next? The "standards" are of no interest to us since they are "foreign" locomotives. The Ivatt yes as that is LMS.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Mad-Modeller wrote in news:452B09FF.64A501C1 @nextline.com:

They're referred to as 'Toms' - dontcha ever watch "The Bill"?

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob