Amelia Earhart's Lockheed Electra

I'm very close to painting my William's Brother's Lockheed Electra in the colors of Amelia Earhart's aircraft. It took a looooong time to get this kit done.

Anyhow, it is difficult for me to discern the correct color for the orange or red markings on the tailplane and the leading edges of the wings. Williams Brother's provides dark red decals for these parts, my Time-Life book shows a cut-away drawing with faded orange for these areas. Everything else I can find is in black and white.

The actual aircraft had very few hours on the airframe prior to the first flight to Hawaii, and then was shipped back to California in crates. It spent almost all of it's time in hangars. However, it was also exposed to the Pacific sun. Would this paint had faded that quickly? And is the correct color orange, or red?

Finally, I'm experimenting by using Alclad for the first time. If I have to paint rather than use the decals, can anyone give me information on how well the Alclad holds up to masking?

Thanks for all your help.

Alan

Reply to
Banshee741

Alclad is pretty tough, you shouldn't have any trouble with masking assuming you used the correct undercoat.

...for more info. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m20.aol.com, Keeper at snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy wrote on 4/16/04 9:45 AM:

I have never had Alclad lift no matter what I masked with nor what the primer (if any) was. That stuff is TOUGH. Mask with duct tape if that's what pleases you; it won't lift.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Check out

they probably have some information on what the plane colors were. There should also be a painting that they sold that has the colors on it...look around the site, or in the store, to see if you can find the picture.

Reed

Reply to
Reed Riddle

Well, maybe not duct tape.....

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Thank you. This is the kind of information I am looking for, and I appreciate your help.

What a great site...

Reply to
Banshee741