Canada grain hopper

I'm going to be repainting cyl. hoppers in the Canada grain scheme. The decal sheet asks for the color to be "Sloney Red". Does anyone know the closest match in Polly or Modelfex.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave D

I wonder if they actually meant Siconey Red. This was a color in Floquil.

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

=>I'm going to be repainting cyl. hoppers in the Canada grain scheme. The =>decal sheet asks for the color to be "Sloney Red". =>Does anyone know the closest match in Polly or Modelfex. =>

=>Thanks, =>Dave

Hooh boy, that's not an easy one. It matters only if you to model a factory fresh car. There are several paint schemes, most of them without red. All of them fade extremely quickly, so anything that's reasonably close will do. CN's Montmorency Orange is OK for faded car, for a newer car deepen the colour with a few drops of caboose red. Also, the hoppers get dirty and stay dirty. They aren't washed on the outside, and grain dust makes a kind of glue when wet, which makes ordinary dirt stick real good. BTW, I've seen and photographed quite a few of these cars when I visited out west. No two cars have the same colour red. Or brown. Or yellow. :-)

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir