Any ancient military historians around?

He seems well and warmly dressed. So what is it with the bare feet. It will be cold. And it will be difficult to move comfortably on sandy or gritty ground let alone fight.
On 06/08/2011 05:13, PaPa Peng wrote:

He is described in the illustration in Osprey Men At Arms 140 as a marine, so the bare feet are presumably for traction on a ships deck.
On 6/08/2011 9:52 PM, Alan Dicey wrote:

And also, if you don't wear shoes too often, your feet get pretty tough - I can remember my brother and I walking barefoot through the centre of town in the middle of a North Queensland summer, on baking concrete and tar that was about to start bubbling; it never bothered us when we were young. We used to run through sugar cane fields shoeless, across gravel roads, ride our bikes, do everythig really. Funnily enough, the only time Mum made us wear shoes was when it rained (no, I could never work that one out, either...)
(sorry about the late reply guys, I've been away at work, sans internet.)
RobG (the Aussie one)