Any One Make Injection 1/35 German 88 On a Halftrack?

Hi there.

Does any one make an injection molded styrene plastic 1/35 scale German 88 anti-tank gun on a German Halftrack?

Were these actually used in WW2?

Thanks from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

Doubtful, since I don't believe that there was ever any such animal. Mind you, the Germans did do a lot of weird field modifications late in the war, so I wouldn't be astonished to discover that one was actually built by someone, somewhere. It's doubtful however that a halftrack chassis could support the strain of an 88 firing, even if you could somehow get it to fit. Of course, since seeing that photo of a PaK 40 mounted on a Pz.I chassis in "Panzer Wrecks", I'm willing to concede that anything's possible. :)

See above.

Bruce Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Bruce Probst

Doubtful, since I don't believe that there was ever any such animal. Mind you, the Germans did do a lot of weird field modifications late in the war, so I wouldn't be astonished to discover that one was actually built by someone, somewhere. It's doubtful however that a halftrack chassis could support the strain of an 88 firing, even if you could somehow get it to fit. Of course, since seeing that photo of a PaK 40 mounted on a Pz.I chassis in "Panzer Wrecks", I'm willing to concede that anything's possible. :)

See above.

Bruce Melbourne, Australia

They did actually mount 88mm Flak guns on a few SdKfz 9 FAMOs, but it was meant to be used in the stationary AA role. There were outriggers that were extended when firing (upward). Although the FAMO was a big vehicles, it would simply not have been able to handle the recoil force of an 88 to the side. There is a resin conversion by PSP models, which includes the armored cab, but there was never an injection kit.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Right. The original question was about mounting the 88mm AT gun, which was structurally a very different animal to the 88mm AA gun. And as you say even the AA gun would (likely) not have been able to fire in AT-mode while mounted on the back of a halftrack.

I'll admit that in my original reply I was thinking of the *armoured* halftracks, which were a lot smaller than the *unarmoured* ht like the Sdkfz 9.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Probst