anyone see the last days of WWII show on the history channel last nite?

thought I'd seen most of the poor editing bits seen in the usual WWII documentary but I found a new one. When talking about the upcoming show in the series, they were discussing the fire bombing of Tokyo....Okay but they showed a Lancaster with a 12,000 lb (tall boy?) slung underneath.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

well damn, all the 29 footage was in the berlin sequence. i saw that, too, and laughed. pbs is kicking the history channels ass on quality.

Now what would have happened if they had done this?

Reply to
Martin

"Martin" wrote

Probably nothing that could discerned after the fact, 'cept maybe some deeper holes. The USAAF already mixed in HE and fragmentation bombs with the incendiaries to make "kindling" and keep the fire crews under shelter. Given that there was little left above ground level except some steel and concrete building shells in the commercial areas, it would not have mattered.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

and there weren't any powerlines, gas lines or phone lines. maybe they could have bombed the sewers and really made the people miserable.

Actually I think they did. There are photos of a modified B-29 Supperfortress carrying one of these big bombs, and dropping it on Japan.

Jeff Zimmerman IPMS# 29172 Captain Eddie Rickenbacker Chapter Columbus, Ohio USA

Jeff Zimmerman

the one they showed on the hc promo was a lanc. stupid considering how much and how easily 29 stock footage is to get.

"Jeff Zimmerman" wrote in news:7gkYd.12021$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

Are you sure it wasn't a sea mine? B-29s dropped some damn big mines in the inshore areas. If I remember correctly they were so big that only the Superfort could carry them.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Probably Korean War footage, when they used guided Tallboys to hit Dams and such in the North

for info on B-29s and big bombs

** mike **
Reply to
mike

I thought only the Lancaster could carry the huge bombs

Reply to
Martin