ARM: V-100 colors

I dusted off a Verlinden V-100 resin kit I had, I would like to finish it as depicted on the box, that is, Vietnam era Military Police. The color on the box looks black and it seems to me I've seen other color pictures in which it looks black, but the Osprey book I have on the V-100 doesn't mention the color and its color illustrations are O.D. green. So which is it and what paint do you recommend?

Thanks in advance Mike

Reply to
Michael Orsolini

See

Jim Lewis just finished one of that color. I think he painted it black first, then oversprayed with green, but look at his website.

Reply to
Gary Kato

Thanks to all, I guess I should go with the black considering that people who rode in them said it was black.

Thanks again, Mike

Reply to
Michael Orsolini

MPs did have more pride in vehicles than most of us and the comment on black makes sense to me. I've seen others polished with used motor oil on the tires and the painted parts with Johnson's J-wax to a gloss sheen as well.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

PS Great Trivia Question:

Q - How many cans of J-wax does an M60A1 take? A - Seven (from Company F 40th Armor Berlin Brigade, who knew and had to do that...)

Reply to
AMPSOne

Whassamatter, they didn't have any Future? ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Yes, "Road Runner" is painted in Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green over a XF-1 Flat Black base color. Only the V-100's and M706's loaned to the trucker battalions themselves were painted in glossy black.

When Dark Green is gloss and dull coted, the color deepens to a near-black, and mimics the photos from the period nicely. I've run the results through the truckers were there at that time - and they like it.

The "Commando" were also painted in brownish olive drab too - and some were used in convoy escort missions as well as the glossy black ones and the dark green examples.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lewis