bill b

my spare box is getting large, how do you organize yours? so far i just have the glass seperate. need to start on guns, wheels etc. i wanted to use empty kit boxes but i don't want to write on them. they are another project.

Reply to
domjaime

You could get a box with drawers at the local crap store or Goodwill if you want to get real AR about it and sort things. I've got mine seperated by scale in styrofoam boxes; nothing real technical. Sorting through piles of crap lends itself to inspiration at times. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Started with zip-lock sandwich bags. Now I use gallon zip-lock freezer bags. They all fit in a decent size box.

Soe of the odd parts (df loops, antennae, etc.) still fit in the sandwich bags.

Large parts are seperated into fuselages, wings, floats, etc.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Similarly, I got a couple of plastic units with drawers from Wally World, similar to the kind you'd have to store nuts 'n' bolts. These drawers are about

8"x8" and maybe 2" high. They have plastic dividers inside (I mounted mine with Elmer's Yellow Glue to seal the bottoms to keep small stuff from sliding around) and can be set up in whichever way works for you. The units cost a couple of bucks each.

The Old Timer

Go to Wally World in the winter, and get the Plano tackle boxes when they are on sale. They make GREAT small parts containers, and the inserts can vary the compartment size easily. I use a combination of these, and old cigar boxes properly labeled with tape to keep track of all current projects. Which are :)

1/32 109 G6 (adding only seatbelts) 1/32 190 D 9 (adding only seatbelts) 1/35 Sturmtiger (no aftermarket) 1/48 Ju 52 (Eduard, and CMK photoetch, resin sets) 1/48 Yak 1 (actually using 3 to make 1, I don't know what happened here........)

But the Plano boxes in an incredible array of sizes really does the trick. Semi to full transparent tops, multiple compartments, strong hinges, positive latches, damn near impossible to break........

"Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will"

Reply to
AM

seems like you could get 20 lbs of stuff pretty quick, it is fun to dig through.

Reply to
domjaime

that sounds like an idea.

Reply to
domjaime

thanks.the dollar store had compartment boxes for a buck each so i grabbed a few. they work well.

Reply to
domjaime

wow, lots of great ideas.

Reply to
domjaime

So since I'm the header here... Know any printing outfits that might have leftover #10 envelope boxes? They do well for larger parts. The other guys have had some good suggestions and I use at least one for small parts. My son picked up a plastic unit with small drawers that I use for guns, missiles, RF probes, etc. The car parts are mostly in envelope boxes on a separate shelf. Small parts are frequently stowed in old metal Sucrets boxes. They've been a family staple (the boxes) for years so I have some really old ones plus all the seconds I used to cull from the scrap bins at my last regular job. SKB went to plastic just before I got dumped but others have been buying boxes from the same tooling so they're still out there. At one time I used to store stuff in old detonator boxes that were scrap. They were very heavy cardstock and had an inner lip for the lid to snuggle over. Of course, once I left Hamilton Watch my supply dried up. I used a couple of them for shipping E-bay items. Wish I could latch onto more of them. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

thanks bill and everyone. the one big pile works for about

10 kits, then it's time to organize. i have a bunch of band-aid type tins that work and the other ideas gave me enough to work with. are the det boxes stamped with a manufacturer?
Reply to
uff

uff queried:

Not obviously. It could be in the codes. They were all 'M' something then the codes, lot number and date. They were used in making M564 artillery fuzes for 105 and 155mm shells.

BTW, the bandaid boxes were made in the same factory that made the Sucrets boxes and if you have spices in tins at home they were probably made there as well. There are only two or three places in the US that pack spice. All those 'store brands' were shipped to one of those for packing.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Mr Mad Modeller,

No rush but did you get my email?

Regards

Reply to
The Raven

i've noticed bubble gum and tire repair kits in the same, so you must be right. they are handy. too bad the gum tastes like spew.

Reply to
uff

Yes Sir Raven, sir. You've been busy! Did you get the last set of SA(noE)s? I have some more for you.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yes, I received 3 (IIRC) in the last shipment. Will pull out a pile of ACC for you and get them sent off. Australia post is about to make a fortune from this package............

Reply to
The Raven

Did one of those SAs have a GTO on the cover? I can't remember if I really bought two of those or not. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I've seen the cover you mention but it was not in the last package.

Reply to
The Raven

OK, thanks for the clarification. I'm obviously running behind if you've already seen the cover.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller