C-5 crash, with pictures

What an incredible picture.

Hopefully there are no fatalities.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Nemesis

There's supposed to be streaming video at 6abc.com. That's a Philadelphia TV station. I have dial-up so streaming video is glacial. No fatalities. Some passengers have been treated and released already.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Given that it was non-fatal (and therefore non-gruesome), people will be having a field day with all the photos, trying to make an exact diorama of the event.

Reply to
IslandStorm

the article says no fatalities and there were 17 on board. that is one tough aircraft, too. it kept it's people alive despite and obviously very violent crash.

I was pretty impressed that there wasn't any fire, given the reports of personel being "drenched in jet fuel" and having to be decontaminated.

Reply to
Rufus

"Enzo Matrix" wrote in news:L6-dnYXjGuCrq6zZRVn- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

When I saw the picture this morning on a hunch I said, no fatalities. I am very pleased to see my hunch pay off. What a ride that must have been. They should all go buy lottery tickets tonite.

Frank

Reply to
Grey Ghost

I think they've already used up more than their share of good luck for a while to come!

I read one account that said the aircraft's nose was unusually high on approach and that the tail hit first - another report that there was a problem with the number two engine makes me wonder if it lost power and stalled just before touching down. IAC I'm amazed that with a full load of fuel it didn't explode and burn.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

sometimes the dice roll right. bet there were some people kissing the ground and changing underware.

What I heard on CNN, after many CNN repeats of the story with much newscaster guessing, was that they had just taken off from Dover AFB and the crew reported an in-flight emergency due to a flame out in one of the engines. After requesting an emergency return and landing, they apparently fell short of the runway. It was indeed fortunate that they were flying slow and low at the time.

Reply to
willshak

Yeah, like the civilian who was driving down the road (Rt.9, IIRC) along the edge of the field. After he peed himself he called 9-1-1.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Generally C-5 don't take off with a 'full' fuel load. They meet a tanker and top off. This helps keep the takeoff weight down and puts less stress on the airframe.

My many years working C-5 logistics has me wondering why it crashed. Many a time we had C-5s land with an engine out or some other mechanical problem that forced it to sit taking up space until a maintenence team could come in and do the repair, or it would leave empty and ferry flight to a larger more equiped facility. Given the location of the tail, I believe there is more that the investigation will reveil.

I once participated in a crash investigation to look at the cargo, and what role it might have played. Luckily everything was packed properly and the pallets and nets worked as designed. No unrestraind or shifting cargo occurred during the crash. Can't say the plane did as well.

Reply to
bluumule

that's the way to do it. have the nervous breakdown after the crisis.

This accident reminds me of the first Vietnam war-time C-5 crash which killed hundred of Amerasian orphans on their way to freedom. A manned VC's SA-7 anti-aircraft missile shot it sown right at the vicinity of Tan-Son-Nhat airport while it was taking-off. The rear crew door at the fuselage below the tail blew off. Ironically, I was called on duty with my platoon at that moment to search for the source of that missile. We found it was fired on a small sampan anchored right below Saigon New-Port bridge which was almost 8 miles away. This one is lucky enough to be survived on board. Happy ending anyway.

Jimmy Tai Tang snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Tang, ThieuTai