cuts

I have a few 'war wounds' from #11s but the biggest mess I ever had was with the long knife that came with the big red handle. I was trying to carve a plane fuselage out of balsa at the time and took too deep a bite out of the wood. When the blade stuck I didn't try to back it out, I stupidly pushed harder. When things let loose they really went and I laid open my left pinky finger palmside. Whilst squealing about that to let the wife know about it I ran upstairs to the bathroom. Most of the way up there my foot kept swishing around in my shoe.

The finger really caught my attention but what I'd missed was the wound in my left calf! I must say, emergencies are when my ex-wife really shines. (I guess her parents gave her such good training when she was growing up.) She had me bandaged and cleaned up shortly.

The scar still shows on my finger but the one on my calf has disappeared. I still have the handle and use it with saws but the knife blade was little-used after that. And the great balsa fuselage project came to a halt that day.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

i can't buy $20k motorcycles. i would love a pan or even an el. my current stable has

3 1978 yamay sr 500 thumpers 1966 yamay 350cc two stroke street rocket a 1966 honda chopper and a 1969 triumph 650 tr6r. i find myself riding my hotrod sr most. ask rufus about it.

For what it's worth, they are $10,000.00 each. A friend of mine was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's) so I'm doing a little work on his bikes so he can get the cash. They told him he has up to five years but I don't think he'll make much more than a year.

I have several bikes of my own but the only Yamaha I have is an XS1100 that tried to kill me and tried to kill the guy I got it from. I think when I rebuild it I'm gonna name it Christine...

I also have a 1956 Harley 165 Hummer, a 1947 Knuckle head, a 1950 45 two wheeler and a 1966 45 trike. The two wheeler 45 was in the 1967 movie Devil's Angels. The trike is mostly a pile of parts that I have plans for. Um, to try to keep this slightly on topic, I have cut myself several times while working on them...

Reply to
Jonathan Silverthorn

unless silver hits $100 and oz very soon, i'm out of the thought of buying one. and unless they were dead stock and perfect runners, i wouldn't be terribly interested. to me, choppers of 40's and

50's bikes are abominations that often don't run well, and alwyas don't ride well. anyone that puts a long stretch on the front wheel so that they can't have a brake is an idiot. i'm a rider, it better run, handle and stop really well. but you won't have any problems selling them. i hope your friend can hang in without suffering.

masterpiecemodels

Reply to
masterpiecemodels

similarly, i saw a friend of mine learn To Just Let It GO when a double sided knife jumped off a table. slice across his palm and 4 fingers. yee-ouch.

Heh...that reminds me - ever tried to learn how to handle a butterfly knife on your own, without any research? You sort of learn the hard way which one of the handles to hold after the sharp side cuts your knuckles open...a few times.

...don't ask how I know.

Reply to
Rufus

Stick your thumb in a bottle of metho - it will stop the bleeding, and kill any bacteria present on the surface.

Using a fine needle, and thread draped through the metho precede to sew back together the sides of the cut. Use small stitches if you do not want a scare.

Reply to
Wayne

The best way is to put a fold over of tape on the cutting edge for the times when you screw it up. Don't ask how I know either...

Reply to
Jonathan Silverthorn

Or when all else fails - drop it.

Reply to
Rufus

Remember when I was a kit building models, I had a drawing table I worked on. It was angled. So stuff would roll off from time to time, and I became adept at catching stuff between my legs/knees.

One time it was an X-acto rolling off the table and I reflexively slammed my knees together, then realized what was coming and yanked them apart.

The knife stuck straight into the hardwood floor. Thank goodness for quick reflexes!

(and then gluing something onto the handle of my X-acto so it wouldn't roll any more)

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Edward

Please e-mail me. I have a question for you.

Tom

e wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

i let a prefeesional so that. 4 stitches on a 3/4 inch cut.

crazy glue and scotch tape, the sliced vein's best friend.

rolling isn't the problem. it's the damn thing turning 180 degrees and flying into my hand.

on the way.